OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

nacl-h2o

Another sad day for all of America. Our pryers go out to all those lost and to their families and freinds.

beefcake

This is horrible. I hope this dosen't set back NASA's shuttle program another 3 years like it did last time.

At the very least, they're starting to find the body parts so that the families can give decent burials to their loved ones. For awhile, we had jets going over our city making sure none of the debris fell here. I prayed for all the families and friends when I first heard the news. Such a terrible thing... :(

fireeater

Yes, They can be buried in Arlington as it is for military personal.
Technically Astronauts are military personal in one branch or another I believe.
I don't believe non-military personal can be buried there. The burial and plot is free for the military. Plus one gets a military burial.

rich1515

:( It was very hard explaining to my seven year old how this is something that he will remember for probably the rest of his life.
I told him how the men and women of the NASA program are heroes and just like we always have in the past, we will endure.
I was one of the people that mistakenly considered shuttle missions "routine" after the Challenger accident. No more.
It's a sad day for everyone everywhere.

wamp

I still rember where I was and what I was doing when the Challenger Exploded minutes after take-off. I will now remember I was looking on this site when Columbia broke apart. Funny how things not directly related to your life can still have a profound effect on it.

fishman88

yes it is very sad........ but it might be a good thing. cuz they might build new, better, saffer and faster ships but until then this is a bad bay :(

hairtrigger

Astronauts are usually members of the Airforce or Navy. There are exceptions to that though. Some astronauts may never be assigned a space mission for the duration of their career, and therefore work on projects here on earth. Challenger exploded just over a minute after lift-off. And yes, it is a horribly sad day. But, not as tragic as 9-11. And, there are far less emotions flying this time, when compared to the Challenger disaster. But like that, this is a horrible loss of life. And, another frightening similarity is: Columbia's next mission was slated to have the second teacher to go into space. Or attempt it anyways. :eek:

jpeavytx

Looks like Nacagdoches took the brunt of the debris falling off the shuttle. Have a few friends from out there and said it scared the living bejesers out of them. I have to take my dog to the trainer today in Nacagdoches and will see first hand all of the debris, supposedly it is scattered throughout the town.

nacl-h2o

Most Astronauts are in the military, but not all. There are civilians buried in Arlington given very exceptional circumstances. This to me would qualify and I'm sure if it were brought up it would be allowed.

dfishh

i dont feel like reading this huge post so if i repeat sumthing......umm.....too bad. im pretty sure the thing burned up coming back down to land becuz during takeoff, foam insulation fell off sum part, hit the front of the wing where heat resistant panels were, and then the panels were knocked off. it didnt affect their flight at all, but teh news people sed these panels were esential for atmosphere re-entry. they dont actually know that thats the cause, but its an accurate guess. did anyone who lives in texas or near it hear the debris crash or see anything fall, cuz i was sik when it hapened, so i was stuck in bed listening to evry news chanel talking about this, and so many people called in from texas saying they saw the debris falling. one guy even prank called and sed he had a piece of the ship in his backyard, then he laughed when they asked him where he lived and he called dan rather an idiot! wat a jack@$$!
DAVE