Ouch, stung by a lionfish yesterday

killafins

hmmm, i was stung by a lionfish yesterday and it really hurt, lol... it's not in my tank but at a friend's. Neways, off topic. If the pain is worst and ur tip of the fingers purple, is that a bad sign? Will it go away? I mean, i don't mean to sound dumb but i don't wanna go to the hospital or doctors for something i can fix here. Lol, i m typing htis with one finger. LMAO... Oh yeah, it hurts like h*ll too

aggie05

they say to run hot water over it immediatly after getting stung but I think you are too late for that. i don't think there is much you can do but wait it out. I would doa search online for some info, you will probably find info quicker than here.

azeritis

I do not mean to freak you out but I think it should be gone by now... I was stung once by a relatively small lion 4-5 inches, my finger got swallen, it hurt for a while but the swell went away after a few hours.
I would check it out. But then again, I am not that brave....LOL

jbiegs

i would definitely say call a dr. the poison is meant to defend, so better to get in front of the issue before you lose the finger. also - i see you are a r jordan fan. any opiniion on the new book?

If you have not already done so, please seek medical attention right away. It may be nothing...or it may be serious neurovascular impairment starting which of course could lead to the demise of said finger. :(
I have seen it before with spider bites and it usually doesn't go too well.

conogre

I have to agree.....the purple coloration is bad and CAN actually lead to gangrene (sometimes in only a day or two) which can result in more than the loss of your finger.
Each person reacts somewhat differently, but your case sounds suspiciously like a friend who lost a fingertip to a pygmy rattler.

Killafins,
ARE YOU OK??? I would have had a panic attack with this post!!! Oh My Gosh...... what happened? I am interested to know now. Also, why was your hand in the tank??? :confused:
Thanking you kindly, Kim

conogre

LOL....why was his hand in the tank?
Because he has the tank!!!!
We have a 125 that currently contains 8 lions and 3 scorpionfish and my hands are always in the tank.
Admittedly, I'm extremely experienced (reptile hot license and have worked with rattlesnakes, cobras, coral snakes, etc.) and have only been stung once, that being by a wild scorionfish I was transferring out of the capture net by hand.
Here's some basic tips to help avoid being envenomated by your pets:
1) Always move your hands SLOWLY when working in the tank.
2) ALWAYS know where your lionfish is at all times.
3) NEVER trap you fish in a corner, as he's likely to panic and bolt to escape when he feels threatened.
4) Never place your hands over the top of the lion (same reason as #3)
5) When feeding use caution at the water's surface.....many will rush to the top to get their share (especially if housed with other heavy feeders) and on larger specimens, the doral fins will actually project out of the water (accidental, but this does nothing to lessen the pain)
6) If hand feeding, hold the food underwater, so that the lion has to come DOWN to take the food from your fingers.
ps...to avoid cries of "the tank is too small", the volitans in the tank are juveniles, and when they reach suitable size, they will be transferred to our 300 gal. tank.....the dwarfs, however, are permanent residents.

S

simm

Run warm water over it and soak in vinegar. The swelling and bluness is common so dont worry about it. There isnt much a hospital can do it. However if you start to feel nauseated, sick and hard to breath then Id go in but most likely you wont. HTH

conogre

I'd use caution on that last suggestion.
It's excellent advice immediately upon being stung, but as long as your occurance has been, and since you DIDN'T do that initially, there is a strong possibility of tissue necropsy, such as from a spider bite (yes, the venom is that strong) and a lesser, but still very real possibilty that you could develope gas gangrene due to the wound being an envenomated puncture (self sealing, thus keeping oxygen away)
In a case such as this, I'd always go with an ounce of prevention!

S

simm

Lion fish venom is way different and most likely wont have the same effects on a human as spider bites and so on. Once you get stung weather you go in immediatly or later there is not much the hospital can do. Iv been there and seen it! I had a friend get stung and later he went in because his skin from tip of fingers to the elbow were black and swollen. They sent him home.

azeritis

I am not a doctor, however I was left with the impression that if for some reason after a sting someone develops the signs Simm described there is not that much time to waste LOL
As for the swelling, yes it is normal. My whole finger got swallen. However IT WAS NOT PURPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL on conogre's remark

S

simm

hehe yea if symptoms happen right then such as nausea, vomiting and breathing roblems then deffinatly go in but as far as the pain, swelling and purpleness there isnt much they wil do.

hey,
I asked why his hand was in his friend's tank...Its not Kill's tank.......LOLOL When my friend come over they usually just look at it.. haha
I agree that if it is your tank, your hands will obviously be in there....
This we all know!
LOLOL
Still havent heard from Kill,,, does he still have his finger..LOLOL
just concerned..:rolleyes:
Thanking you kindly, Kim

blueberryboomer

I posted a question about what would happen if I was stung by our lionfish a while back, several sharks posted back to me about this. If your interested you can do a search on what they told me... I think it was titled What happens if my lionfish stings me.
I wanted to make sure that in the process of cleaning my tank I was not going to die if I got stung. They assured me that I wouldn't. Lisa
Hope your fingers are feeling better.....

I

irenicus

I don't think there is any truth to that. Maybe if you had an allergic reaction. Being stung by a lion is a very painful experience, but not life threatening. I'm sure there is a few people on the board that have been stung by a lion.