Our Ballast Supports VHOs?

rune

So we bought this ballast kit when we first setup the aquarium from a local fish store that was going out of business. The box doesnt mention anything about it being VHO compliant and we paid next to nothing for it with all the discounts and everything combined (I think it was like 20 dollars honestly)
Here's a description:
"Energy efficient ballast uses 35% less energy than magnetic ballasts. Assembled and ready to install, simply connect bulbs (not included) and plug in. Features four Coralife water resistant endcaps with 9' ft. leads, four lamp clips, an 8' power cord for easy installation and a convenient on/off switch. A timer may be used with this unit.
Operates two 20, 30, or 40 watt T12 (1.5" dia.) fluorescent lamps."
And a picture.

On a whim we picked up a VHO light bulb to replace one of ours that had burnt out. The LFS said we could return it if it didnt work. Plugged it in and it turned on as bright as can be! The guy at the fish store said that if it turned on, it shouldnt be a problem in the long run. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

rune

I am really confused by lighting so please bear with me.
So we can buy the light bulbs titled VHO.. and look for something on the label based on wattage? We can go up to 40 watts I guess?

bronco300

well you may see them listed as VHOs in a pet store...not sure if they technically are since VHO are "very high output"...but i'm assuming by those wattages you're just looking for the NO, normal output.

rune

Im so confused...
<- so not technical
Whats the highest intensity light I can buy for the thing?

bronco300

not sure...i'd be careful about using the 110w or so bulbs...i personally would stick with what they recommend, but i'm not an electrician...but with coralife i'd stick personally

mikeu

Based on the description, that is a normal output (NO) ballast. Not sure what affect it will have on the ballast. Is it running hotter than it had previously?

reefkprz

A VHO bulb will fire on a Normal ballast but will only produce normal wattage NOT VHO wattage. the ballast only provides enough power for low out put.
that ballast is a normal out put ballast. it will NOT effectivly run VHO bulb. IMO that unit is junk, or just to be used as visual appeal, NOT for supporting coral.

scsinet

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2733102
A VHO bulb will fire on a Normal ballast but will only produce normal wattage NOT VHO wattage. the ballast only provides enough power for low out put.
that ballast is a normal out put ballast. it will NOT effectivly run VHO bulb. IMO that unit is junk, or just to be used as visual appeal, NOT for supporting coral.

If it says it uses up to 40w lamps, then VHO lamps will not run at full power. It would be a waste of money to invest in VHO lamps for this ballast for this reason.