Our DIY base rock/live rock (with pics)

kemfish

So we decided to make our own base rock because we have a limited space to work with in a 25 gallon breeder tank...here is what we are using, going vaguely off the list of http://www.athiel.com/lib3/arago.htm which tells you how to make base rock.
Supplies list:
60 lbs quikrete ready use concrete mix
0.5 cubic feet of "coral sand"
20 lb bag of CaribSea Instant Aquarium Moonlight Sand Gravel (this stuff was much better quality than the coral sand)
5 gallon bucket
trowel
PVC pipe and caps (optional)
epoxy (optional- if you use PVC, get epoxy)
measuring tape
pencil and sharpie (to draw and make marks for cuts)
cement gloves
Styrofoam box (what our live rock was sent home in)
cardboard
scissors
duct tape
2 cups/glasses (optional- used to scoop sand and add water to sand)
storage tote
vinegar
fresh water
hacksaw
large box(optional)
small box(optional)
crushed coral(optional)
Total cost of supplies (does not include some items we had on hand, like crushed coral): $65.
First my husband and I decided on the design of the finished product. He used his drafting skills to make a scaled drawing of the rocks, and we starting setting up.

We gathered the PVC pipe and cut it to size for tunnels inside the rock (for shrimp and small fish). We filed it down, and then my husband glued it together using the epoxy and we set it aside to dry.

We have two tunnels for shrimp which have PVC caps on them, which were NOT glued, just fitted tightly, and we packed them full of sand.

We had a large box and put the 5 gallon bucket in it with the bag of sand and the bag of quikrete. (the box just prevents any mess from hitting our floor)
We opened the sand, mixed in some water until moist but not wet and put a 3/4" to 1" deep bed across the bottom of the Styrofoam box.
My husband started fashioning cardboard cut outs of the sizes/shapes of the rock.
CN3736.JPG" src="https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/data/6/69/695f7893_DSCN3736.jpeg
We set the first cut out in the Styrofoam box on top of the bed of sand.

Once it was in the box, we filled the surrounding area with sand, then removed the box. What is left is the area to be filled with the quikrete.

We opened the quikrete and mixed it in the 5 gallon bucket with fresh water. It is important to only mix small amounts of quikrete at a time, to avoid waste.

Then, we filled the area in the sand with quikrete, and smoothed it out.

Next, we placed more cut outs on top of the quikrete we just put in the sandbox, and again covered the surrounding area with sand up to the edges of the cutouts.

Now, we slowly removed one cut out at a time, and filled it with quikrete.

One of the 3 cut outs at this point holds a shrimp tunnel, so we filled the hole about 1" deep with quikrete, then placed the PVC pipe with cap (this piece was NOT glued with epoxy!!) inside of the hole, and continued to fill with quikrete.

Once all 3 holes were filled, we smoothed them out, and covered the entire bottom area of the rock(the size we originally made with the first cut out) with quikrete to create a smooth bottom that won't fill with the sand in the bottom of my tank. This piece of rock is not finished! It will serve as the base piece to the 3 piece tier.

We only have one foam box, so to make the top piece tonight instead of another time, we found a small box, lined it first with crushed coral (to keep it dry from the moistened sand) and then covered it with a thin layer of sand. We formed the mold of the top piece of rock in sand, which is a simple half moon shaped piece.
We again followed the previously listed steps and filled with quikrete, then smoothed it out for a flat bottom.

Finally, we cleaned all the tools (bucket, trowel, etc) and set up for tomorrow.
We can only make 2 rocks at a time of the 3 rocks total because we didn't have enough sand to make a 3rd box full. The rocks are supposed to sit for 24 hours. Tomorrow night, we will remove the rocks from the boxes of sand, dig the sand out of our PVC tunnel, and then soak in white vinegar for 12 hours. I don't know why it has to soak in vinegar, it is just what the website calls for...once those 12 hours are up the rocks will be placed into the tote of fresh water for 5+ days to continue drying/ "curing". I will of course provide more pictures!
Total time elapsed so far (to include planning and shopping at home depot, dinner breaks, etc) about 8 hours.

bowfish

Ive made my own rock also.Mine have been curing for about two weeks now, still getting high PH but I figured it would take at least a month or more to cure.would like to see if the vineger works. Good luck

E

eric b 125

+1 I've toyed around with the idea of doing this myself and I'm interested to see how it turns out for you guys.

bowfish

No real need for them that I can see so far .Ive stacked them up just to see how they they look and they stack very well. I might drill them if I have some that dont seem too steady

spanko

Just asking because the front and center rock has two holes that look drilled or molded for rods.

bowfish

O yea I put those there for Coral plugs to fit in.That is a nice flat piece and I thought it would be easyer to place coral plugs in. Ive done that to a few more pieces Ive made. There is only about 45lbs in this picture Ive got another 40 or so in another tube. I dont know if Im going to use the other 40 in this tank or use it in another. I have 50lbs of natural rock from an old tank that I plan on mixing with this stuff Ive made. The one Ive made look and feel just like the real thing and they are very light and porous but seem to be very sturdy

kemfish

So far they look really good, I am anxious for the next 10 hours to pass so I can pull them out of the sand bed and take a look. Bowfish, yours turned out great! I am also interested in seeing what the vinegar will do, I will be sure to keep this updated over the next few days so everyone can see what is going on. Hopefully this works out well, it'll save us sooo much money if it does, since we have 2 tanks to stock. Website said 2-7 days, so we'll see if they're right!!

florida joe

My 2 cents you can make aragacrete rock by mixing 4 parts of aragonite sand with 1 part #3 Portland cement. Some tricks I learned from a seminar at my reef club by Julian Sprung. Plastic beads that can be acquired at any craft store can be mixed with the cement to make the rock much lighter. Also course rock salt can be pressed into the surface of the concrete or mixed into it once dried and you start to cure in freshwater the salt will dissolve leaving holes in the surface as well as adding porosity to the inside of the rock to add in advection

kemfish

Joe- thanks for the input, my mom did some as you described with the salt, she just sent me pictures, turns out great. We will be sure to go that route in the future too as a trial, right now we're mostly having fun figuring it all out.

kemfish

Alright, so I completely forgot about the camera while I was working with the first rock, but I got some pics of it in the vinegar and pics of the 2nd rock. They turned out great so far!
My supply list tonight:
Another 5 gallon bucket
4 gallons of white vinegar
1 spoon
litter box (unused by animals, of course)
Here is what I did tonight:
I took a spoon and dug the rock out of the sand, placing the sand in the litter box you see in previous pictures. Once the rock was out, I used the spoon to continue scraping excess sand off, and then took it out back and sprayed it off with the garden hose. Once it was clean, I brought it inside and placed it in the 5 gallon bucket. Then, I poured 3 gallons of vinegar (enough to completely cover the rock) into the bucket.
At this point I realized I hadn't taken pictures...so here you go:
(you can see my litter box of sand here)
Here is the smaller rock as I was working on getting the sand out from around it:

Here it is covered in sand out back:
The sand you see on the patio is from the big rock
Here it is after being sprayed down: (much more sand stuck to this one for some reason, might use a toothbrush to scrub some out, we'll see)

then my camera died...
All that happened after this is I placed it in the 5 gallon bucket with the other rock, and poured the rest of the vinegar into the bucket to make sure both rocks were covered. In 12 hours, we'll see what it looks like!

kemfish

I am happy with the way ours turned out, except that they are VERY heavy. Our little rock must weigh at least as much as the big one we used as an example to make it, and it isn't even half the size. We will be looking into mixtures that are lighter now!

kemfish

Has anyone used the bead idea before? My concern would be that they would be visible if mixed into the cement, and I have a FOWLR setup, so it would never be hidden by coral lol.

bowfish

Use the crushed oyster shell and the rock salt. When you cure the rock the salt dissolves and leaves gaps inside your rock makes it very light.The picture I posted of my rock theres only about 45lbs there and those are pretty big pieces.

kemfish

This is all kind of on hold for now...
My husband finally gave in and decided we would just make normal shaped rocks from now on after seeing how strange his shaped one turned out

However, my dogs decided to dig holes under our fence, so the rest of the quikcrete was dedicated to digging below our entire fence and filling with concrete to keep them in! So, all bets off til payday for the rest of the rock :(
Here are the culprits: (Halloween 2011---and no, they do NOT wear clothes any other day of the year lol)