Our Nuvo 8

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlablan http:///t/392278/our-nuvo-8#post_3490328
Any updates? I am trying to stave off the itch to start a pico tank... I have the perfect spot and I really want to put a teenie tiny reef together... I need to live through you so I don't have to set up a tank!!!
Bwahahahahaaaaaa

sweatervest13

Not too too much going on. I am fighting some algae right now on the sand. I got a frag of some xenia and it has some GHA on it. I removed the algae but I think it still messed things up. Oh well. I have been siphoning it out when I do my bi-weekly water changes.
Right now in there I have xenia, torch coral (small) and a small group of Zoa's, and a purple Firefish.
I am really thinking about getting a small clown... Thoughts?? I know it is kinda small but I have had a clown in my 125 for almost 2 years and he is still just a little guy. I would love a nice designer clown, black ice or something like that.
Once I get this algae thing kicked I would like to start putting more coral into the tank. I am working on setting up a coral QT tank/ Frag Tank so we are probably looking at a couple more months.
Rlablan... You should def set up a nano. Check out the Nuvo line, they are pretty slick.

kiefers

I just re read the thread, after looking at this little cage, I'm thnking a bedroom oasis. Like a 5 gallon on the nightstand? Afew zoo's, some candycanes? Hmmmm......... hittin the attic!
Very nice set up tho. My lady got me hooked! she has a 125, then a few months later I got the 29 gallon biocube, and now the 56
I really ht the books and forums, and started learning. Ours was more of a short sale tho.Lol

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///t/392278/our-nuvo-8/20#post_3490385
I just re read the thread, after looking at this little cage, I'm thnking a bedroom oasis. Like a 5 gallon on the nightstand? Afew zoo's, some candycanes? Hmmmm......... hittin the attic!
Very nice set up tho. My lady got me hooked! she has a 125, then a few months later I got the 29 gallon biocube, and now the 56
I really ht the books and forums, and started learning. Ours was more of a short sale tho.Lol
They make a nice Nuvo 4g. Just a little guy. I really like the 8. The 4 seemed a little narrow compared to the 8g.
I am going to end up with more tanks then people living in my house. LOL

rlablan

This itch is getting really hard to not scratch. lol
My boyfriend doesn't really say anything about it... just rolls his eyes.
I really want a plug and play but I am also thinking about doing a little DIY project... grab a 5.5 gal from *****, remove the brace and make it rimless... grab a little light, similar to your light or something like it. DEFINITELY LED. And then I was thinking like the Biggest aquaclear HOBfilter that will fit, for my "filter" and my flow... I want to avoid any power heads in the tank... I also want to run the HOBfilter as a "refugium" of sorts... just rock rubble in there, maybe some type of floss...
I was thinking a yasha goby and pistol pair? either that or like 3 neon gobies. Mainly ric. mushrooms for the corals... and acans... I want nothing but Lord Hs in this little monster... and nothing but incredibly bright corals... a little neon cube.
Can you tell I've thought about it a little bit? Ugggghhhh... I know what I'm doing this weekend...

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlablan http:///t/392278/our-nuvo-8/20#post_3490479
I really want a plug and play but I am also thinking about doing a little DIY project... grab a 5.5 gal from *****, remove the brace and make it rimless... grab a little light, similar to your light or something like it. DEFINITELY LED. And then I was thinking like the Biggest aquaclear HOBfilter that will fit, for my "filter" and my flow... I want to avoid any power heads in the tank... I also want to run the HOBfilter as a "refugium" of sorts... just rock rubble in there, maybe some type of floss...
I was thinking a yasha goby and pistol pair? either that or like 3 neon gobies. Mainly ric. mushrooms for the corals... and acans... I want nothing but Lord Hs in this little monster... and nothing but incredibly bright corals... a little neon cube.
Can you tell I've thought about it a little bit? Ugggghhhh... I know what I'm doing this weekend...

Right on!!! That's what I like to hear. You have been planning this baby in your head for a while... I can tell.
If you are looking at doing a little DIY, and need a decent cheap clip on LED, check out the trader site (if you are not sure what it is I can send you an PM). They have one like the Innovative Marine Skkye light but for 1/4 -1/3 the price. I think the idea of a HOB filter as a fuge is great. I believe that there are a ton of online guides on how to convert the aquaclears. With a large HOB filter you will not need a powerhead in the tank. I don't have one in the Nuvo 8, I may add on later but so far it is not needed.
Keep us posted if you decide to get a nano going!!

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlablan http:///t/392278/our-nuvo-8/20#post_3490479

dooin the same. Just got some netting for the top, a larger HOBfilter (now concidering the fuge too).
Heheheheheheeeee this is ganna be great, some beer, brauts, and the little atlantis.
I'm thinkin some star polyps as a carpet bottom or on the back along with a few sun coral.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///t/392278/our-nuvo-8/20#post_3490572
dooin the same. Just got some netting for the top, a larger HOBfilter (now concidering the fuge too).
Heheheheheheeeee this is ganna be great, some beer, brauts, and the little atlantis.
I'm thinkin some star polyps as a carpet bottom or on the back along with a few sun coral.
NICE!!! We are starting a trend. LOL.
I love the idea of star polyps on the bottom like grass. And I really love the look of the sun corals. You have the orange and the black ones right?? Would you frag yours to put in a nano?? Or just buy a new colony (or frag)?

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/392278/our-nuvo-8/20#post_3490578
NICE!!! We are starting a trend. LOL.
I love the idea of star polyps on the bottom like grass. And I really love the look of the sun corals. You have the orange and the black ones right?? Would you frag yours to put in a nano?? Or just buy a new colony (or frag)?
More than likely frag them. I have 6 sun corals growin in my over flow box from when they spawned a while ago. I might take them out.
I will more than likely take out my baby richordeas too and small blue shrooms.
All my corals are growing and splittling quickly, so finding soething in there to use shouldn't be difficult

rlablan

well hello hello
I have been busy but as luck would have it, I am unfortunately going to HAVE to set uo a little tank... due to the domestic violence situation going on in my tank. I seem to have a homeless watchmen goby. Sad:(
He is living in goby jail so i am gonna have to find him a home soon.
I am going to check into things and see what I can do.
I am stealing the GSP idea. Yoink!!

rlablan

so- - -
just went and picked up an aqueon 8.
looks pretty easy to customize. I'mma set it up even thought i should be resting from surgery. I blame you guys.
lol thanks!

sweatervest13

Hi all,
Not too much to update. The little tank has kinda taken a back seat to the big tank. But I still tweak here and there. The algae is crazy. I siphon as much out as I can with each WC, but it keeps coming back. I finally got the carbon and phos blocks for the filter compartment. I don't think they work very well. I just recently bought some media bags to run my own GFO and carbon. Next WC, I will put that in and see if that helps.
I added a small clown, he is the only clown in the house now that the two in the big tank are gone. He is fun to watch swim in and out of the xenia all day.
Here is cell phone pic the wife took.

The tanks corners are the biggest PITA to clean. But after I scrap with a blade they look awesome.

rlablan

I bet. Those rounded corners look like a pain.
Did you ever think that it's the spectrum of light from that LED light that is feeding your algae? I had a big light on my tank that did that. I was having crazy algae and not very vibrant corals because of it. I thought it was me... But it turns out it was just crappy LEDs.
The tank looks great in this shot though. :) I can't even see the algae.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlablan http:///t/392278/our-nuvo-8/20#post_3519355
I bet. Those rounded corners look like a pain.
Did you ever think that it's the spectrum of light from that LED light that is feeding your algae? I had a big light on my tank that did that. I was having crazy algae and not very vibrant corals because of it. I thought it was me... But it turns out it was just crappy LEDs.
The tank looks great in this shot though. :) I can't even see the algae.
Yeah, I have thought about the lights, but also that its in the kitchen and it gets a lot of sun light (especially in the AM). I don't have any super light hungry corals in there. But IDK if I want to replace the light. For now its fine. Good thinking though!! I am sure the maintenance schedule I have on this second tank is not helping. I should probably do weekly 50% WC's, but its more like once a month. The wife's job is to clean the glass (not the corners) with the mag float. She does not do a good job at it, but she is getting better. She likes it when its crystal clear, so she is now more motivated.
I just love having a tank in the kitchen. Makes for some nice conversation when we have neighbors over.

rlablan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/392278/our-nuvo-8/20#post_3519361
She likes it when its crystal clear, so she is now more motivated.
I just love having a tank in the kitchen. Makes for some nice conversation when we have neighbors over.
Haha yeah tell me about it. Our house's layout is such that I cannot help but show off the tanks. It helps me to keep my tanks as nice looking as possible because anyone in the house can see them at all times... guests are kind of him in the face by them :) Watching TV/movies is hard because I find myself constantly looking at stuff in the tank and then getting up to mess with it for "just a second..." I find myself most often watching shows and what not with my hand in the tank and the other hand holding up my sleeves

If mine where in my kitchen like yours, I can't imagine I would get any cooking done!!
Here is a panorama picture for ya :) (It's impromptu so please excuse my mess)

sweatervest13

Heck yeah!!!
I love the open layout, it highlights the tanks very nicely.
I have my big tank in my finished basement. It really makes that floor. But, I don't spend a lot of time down there unfortunately. I mean, I spend a decent amount of time down there doing stuff and looking at the tank. But I don't have the nice DVR HD cable box down there just the little conversion box (its on a decent TV, but the box is what matters) so I just get standard definition TV on it. The living room on the main floor is where we watch most movies and shows (Like Game of Thrones, love that show).
I have a long term plan of getting approval from the wife to run a decent size reef tank in on the main floor. But that is way down the line.

rlablan

Thanks!
Yeah. I noticed when I ran my last 150 in a different room (a spare room right off the main area, the door is just visible right behind the 60 cube) I didn't spend much time on it. I didn't notice quickly enough when corals fell or things weren't running just so... I missed a lot of the goings on and that made it really hard, for me, to run a nice looking reef. Because of this, that tank ended up going buh-bye.
From here on out, I think I will really only have tanks in the main area, in rooms that I use. I think my tank would be so neglected if I had it in a basement. sometimes I feel silly having 2 tanks so close together but it sure makes maintenance easier :) Plus, the cube is going NPS so they are pretty different.
I do love being able to sit on the couch and watch the tank though. I dunno how I didn't have this before.