Our statfish

goldenboy

Originally posted by ophiura
I'll ignore the brittle/serpent comment :) What tank is your Fromia in? Is it a reef tank? Is this the tank it has always been in?
Courtney,
Ditto the questions! Tank size, age? How long have you had the star?
Just trying to get more of a feel for the success rate of Fromia's.

Just for the record, I have 2 serpents too! The marbles have moved from tank to tank over the years. I found that the ones that I have had are quite hearty.

snipe

I was going to get a marble but didnt know if it was reef safe so I didnt go with it now that I know I just might have to get one! And dont dis the serpents I love mine he is very awsome looking strolling around the tank!

goldenboy

Originally posted by Snipe
And dont dis the serpents I love mine he is very awsome looking strolling around the tank!

During the day? Mine only come out at night. I went and got a red striped one that is awesome. I hadn't seen it in so long I forgot I had it. Then I looked in my tank one night and there it was. Don't wanna say it's a waste of money, but............

snipe

No I just got mine yesterday "he came out last night" I have heard that the serpents will learn to come out in the day though.

goldenboy

I have heard that the serpents will learn to come out in the day though.

Yeah, good luck with that....If you want to see it at night, invest in moonlights.

ophiura

I will say that I am not confident that this species of star will do well in smaller tanks long term. I don't know for sure, but I would treat them like most species of Linckia in terms of tank size. I'd aim for minimum 75g well established reef...I would anticipate that, like blue Linckia, survival rates increase with increase in tank size and amount of LR. I think if these were tough and successful in smaller reefs, that we would seem them more commonly in the hobby. Just my take on it though....

ophiura

Well then, that's news. That is why I was interested in tank sizes and learning more about experiences. I can only go on what I hear. But then there are also exceptional Blue Linckia that survive in smaller tanks too. I am just not sure why this species isn't more common in the hobby if it is far tougher - the smaller Fromia milleporella, for example, does not appear to be much different than Linckia in their needs. Just seems like it is too good to pass up then. It is certainly pretty enough. Does it take to spot feeding?

snipe

I have only seen them on one sight this is what they said about it.
Care Level: Moderate
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 3"
Color Form: Bright Red, Cream, Orange, Red
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Diet: Omnivore
Origin: Indo-Pacific, Maldives
Family: Ophidiasteridae
The Marble Sea Star, or Marble Starfish, is one of the more common of the Fromia species, its coloration making it one of the more striking of all the sea stars. Its central disc will have an orange to deep red color, while its arms have cream-colored spots with a red edging.
It is found over sandy substrates, on rocks, and sometimes climbing on anemones. It is constantly foraging for micro-organisms and detritus to eat, so the aquarium should have ample amounts of live rock. It generally lives alone, but if the aquarium is large enough to support more than one, it will tolerate others of its own species.
The Marble Sea Star is very intolerant of sudden changes in oxygen levels, salinity and pH of the water, and cannot tolerate copper-based medications. The drip acclimation method is highly recommended for all Sea Stars due to their intolerability to changes in water chemistry. It should never be exposed to air while handling.
It is recommended to supplement its diet with small pieces of shrimp, mussel, or flaked food.

ophiura

I've seen similar info on things where they were quite wrong, so I wouldn't necessarily agree with it. For example, the size seems to be off...the one's in this thread are much larger. I believe that same site also says that Blue Linckia should be spot fed, which rarely works. But I would be very interested to know if these Fromia take to spot feeding. Wouldn't mind one myself if it is clear they can be kept in smaller tanks and be spot fed.

goldenboy

Whenever a "site" states that they grow to a maximum size you gotta realize that's a guess. I've seen choc chip stars 14" at a lfs. As far as this star is concerned its like most any. With a fair amount of LR and good water quality it'll be o.k. The problem is that most lfs don't carry them, so you have to go throught the shipping process and most of the fromia species doesn't ship well. If you do this, acclimate the heck out of it, and make sure it is NEVER exposed to air.

goldenboy

Originally posted by RUBBERDUCK
are they hard to take care of

As long as you have a fair amount of LR and acclimate properly it should be o.k.

snipe

Originally posted by goldenboy
Yeah, good luck with that....If you want to see it at night, invest in moonlights.

Just and update my starfish is in love with me "well food" when I get close to the tank here he comes "during the day" out of the hole waiting for me to give him something.

snipe

Just and update my starfish is in love with me "well food" when I get close to the tank here he comes "during the day" out of the hole waiting for me to give him something.

Another update he is starting to get used to the light. My lights shut off but my tank is in the front room so the house lights are on. And he is slowly getting used to it he made a trip around the tank and then back in the hole.