Out door saltwater pond?

spector101

I'm just wondering what you all think, is it possable, What kind of filtartion is needed, Looking at about 300+ gallon Keep in mind I live in Ohio

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Spector101
http:///forum/post/2467662
I'm just wondering what you all think, is it possable, What kind of filtartion is needed, Looking at about 300+ gallon Keep in mind I live in Ohio
hm, not such a good idea in Ohio. People do have outdoor saltwater tanks though, but generaly in warmer climates.

spector101

I am going to rather put one massive heater or several smaller heater so that the water stays warm in the winter months

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Spector101
http:///forum/post/2467687
I am going to rather put one massive heater or several smaller heater so that the water stays warm in the winter months
I am trying to remember what forum I have seen them in. It may have been the aggressive forum. Those that have done it will be able to tell you what you need for it.

matt b

you would have to cover it so snow and rain cant get in it. and if you do do it i want to come and go swiming

kayak385

an outdoor saltwater pond is very unlikely for any place unless completely protected from the elements. There would have to be no way for moisture to get into the tank(rain, snow etc) but a filtration system that would allow for surface air to allow gases to escape. It would probably be about 10 times as much spent on an outside aquarium, because Ohio's summers haven't been so cool and a chiller to cool down such a tank would be a major expense. Not to mention the sun cover could cause huge outbreaks of all types of algea. A top view would not be very useful because of the ripples of the water as well. Most fish look great from side views, not from the top.
With all of that said, it is possible, but much more expensive and more time consuming with little appeal. I would suggest getting a 300 gallon inside tank, and I would suggest keeping it from windows unless you want to scrub algea off your tank.

matt b

Originally Posted by kayak385
http:///forum/post/2467711
an outdoor saltwater pond is very unlikely for any place unless completely protected from the elements. There would have to be no way for moisture to get into the tank(rain, snow etc) but a filtration system that would allow for surface air to allow gases to escape. It would probably be about 10 times as much spent on an outside aquarium, because Ohio's summers haven't been so cool and a chiller to cool down such a tank would be a major expense. Not to mention the sun cover could cause huge outbreaks of all types of algea. A top view would not be very useful because of the ripples of the water as well. Most fish look great from side views, not from the top.
With all of that said, it is possible, but much more expensive and more time consuming with little appeal. I would suggest getting a 300 gallon inside tank, and I would suggest keeping it from windows unless you want to scrub algea off your tank.
Sun dosent cause algae. It just helps it grow. So if you dont have algae problems the sun isent going to make any

spector101

I am not sure but I think there going to be a roof to block some of elements I was just ask to help set it up I did not know if it could even be done

michaeltx

yes it can be done but in your case you will have a lot of preplanning and preparations because the part of the country you are in.
what are you looking at houseing in this pond because if I was going to spend the money on a pond type set up it would be much larger than a 300 gallon system.
Mike

big

Yes 300 gallons is so small it would be harder than a larger pond, less inherent stability.
I for the last 10 years have maintained a 15000 Lilly-koi-goldfish pond in a similar location ,nearby West Virginia. (till this year when we built a new home close by the older one.
In this type of climate it is hard to just keep the ice from being too thick at times , much less keep tropical exotics out there. The electric bill would be like running huge open top non-insulated hot-tub in the least just for heating the beast...... The heating bill in itself would be astronomical. Not to take into account all the other problems.
If you want to waste huge sums of money for no reason, send it to my wife she already knows how to do it very well.....

kayak385

Originally Posted by MaTT B
http:///forum/post/2467712
Sun dosent cause algae. It just helps it grow. So if you dont have algae problems the sun isent going to make any
agreed, sorry but my algae is under control from inverts until I open my blinds and then it gets a head start.

natclanwy

Not sure how cold it gets in Ohio but to keep 300g at 80deg in single digit weather is going to need a huge amount of energy especially if it is completley open to the elements, I think the only way it would be possible is to put it inside of a green house. Outside I think your electric bill would be in the four digit range if you could even find a system that could keep it that warm consistantly.

spanko

I violated the posting rules so here, do a google search for :
vitor pestana sun powered reef

big

Is neat, but that ain't Ohio climate for sure !!! as those younnings would say!!

spector101

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2467840
yes it can be done but in your case you will have a lot of preplanning and preparations because the part of the country you are in.
what are you looking at houseing in this pond because if I was going to spend the money on a pond type set up it would be much larger than a 300 gallon system.
Mike
I probally is bogger this is not mine I was asked to help set up the person that owns it guessed 300 gallon but it is one of those big black tubs that made for ponds

bjoe23

Think of how much money a regular 125 costs. Then you triple the size, and you gotta have alot of heaters for the winter. Lots of $$$, and with the weather in the north east you never what we will get