out of curiosity? any "real" Italians here?

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by AGENT-X
So you're Native American? an Indian if you will?
No im 100% post native american,American.
Thats after we won the war

agent-x

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici

OK

tangman99

Yep! Well half anyway. My mother is from Cortina and I've been to Padova when I visited many years ago. I'm ashamed I don't speak the language. Never was important when I was young but now I really regret not learning. My mother brought our cousin over last night who is here from Milan visiting. She didn't speak any English and my Mom had to translate everything. Any advice on the easiest way to learn Italian?

jovial

Originally Posted by drea
thanx!
its a 97 tacoma, i need to put a better motor in there, although this one is pretty nice!
see all you people are from all over in diff areas.. pretty cool no?
i reall should start a book when i'm old just to keep in the family... sometimes laziness takes over!
Great trucks, thats a nice one! how much lift? Toyota motors last forever so it might be awhile.

jmick

There is something wrong about this, not sure what it is but it makes me a little sick to my stomach for some reason.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by Jmick
There is something wrong about this, not sure what it is but it makes me a little sick to my stomach for some reason.
Try some TUMS it might help.

jmick

Try some TUMS it might help.
Post Native American huh, sure the true native americans who were subjected to genocide would appreciate that comment...something about that comment rubs me the wrong way.

veni vidi vici

Post Native American huh, sure the true native americans who were subjected to genocide would appreciate that comment...something about that comment rubs me the wrong way.
Sorry if i offended you i didnt know you where native american.

jmick

Sorry if i offended you i didnt know you where native american.
I'm not Native American, I am an American who is ashamed of the way we treated these people and thrown them to a 3rd world living in the greatest country in the world. They are the only native Americans, the rest of us are immigrants.

veni vidi vici

I'm not Native American, I am an American who is ashamed of the way we treated these people and thrown them to a 3rd world living in the greatest country in the world. They are the only native Americans, the rest of us are immigrants.
Im not real thrilled with the way Native Americans where treated either but for the record i was only answering a question someone asked.

socal57che

Just a question that popped into my head. Where did these natives come from? Did they possibly evolve from an ancestor that did not exist on this continent, or did they migrate from Mongolia via the Bearing Strait theory? The latter of which would make them immigrants, right.
By no means do I condone what was done to their ancestors and the way they must live today.
Food for thought.

ps...Grandma was 100% Cherokee

jmick

Originally Posted by socal57che
Just a question that popped into my head. Where did these natives come from? Did they possibly evolve from an ancestor that did not exist on this continent, or did they migrate from Mongolia via the Bearing Strait theory? The latter of which would make them immigrants, right.
By no means do I condone what was done to their ancestors and the way they must live today.
Food for thought.

I think most educated people believe they came over the land bridge from Asia. What makes them the natives? Well, they were the first people here, they were the first to explore the land and settle it and after thousands of years I guess they became the natives...I could be wrong? Or would Spaniards, Englishmen and Portuguese who came 10's of thousand of years later be able to claim the native status?

veni vidi vici

Back to the Italian subject...
I had pizza from Costco tonight and dusted it with garlic powder.

Technically Pizza wasn't invented by the Italians.

veni vidi vici

I think most educated people believe they came over the land bridge from Asia. What makes them the natives? Well, they were the first people here, they were the first to explore the land and settle it and after thousands of years I guess they became the natives...I could be wrong? Or would Spaniards, Englishmen and Portuguese who came 10's of thousand of years later be able to claim the native status?
Or it could have been our ancestral Monkey brethren .LOL i couldn't resist.

socal57che

I dunno, but I always wondered what action caused someone to be "native."
If you look at it as mankind being natives of earth then it is more like squabbling siblings taken to the extreme.
Polynesian natives fall into the same category. They were not necessarily natives of the Pacific Islands because the travelled there from someplace else via boat. If origin is the key to one being native then we have to trace history to the first human being. I guess the "I was here first" that we learned in kindergarten has to be our basis for who is "native."
I think some googling is in order.

socal57che

Technically Pizza wasn't invented by the Italians.

but they do seem to enjoy it

veni vidi vici

but they do seem to enjoy it

As do i...It should have its own food group. The universal food.

socal57che

Definitions of native on the Web:
characteristic of or existing by virtue of geographic origin; "the native North American sugar maple"; "many native artists studied abroad"
belonging to one by birth; "my native land"; "one's native language"
characteristic of or relating to people inhabiting a region from the beginning; "native Americans"; "the aboriginal peoples of Australia"
a person who was born in a particular place; an indigenous person
as found in nature in the elemental form; "native copper"

[hr]
According to this I am a native American just because I was born here. I don't necessarily agree with that.
The third contradicts itself if you believe that these people came from somewhere else.
Time to google indigenous person...

socal57che

In the thirty-year history of indigenous issues at the United Nations, and the longer history in the ILO on this question, considerable thinking and debate have been devoted to the question of definition of “indigenous peoples”, but no such definition has ever been adopted by any UN-system body.
taken from:http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=1&gl=us
Sorry for the hijack...this may qualify for a thread of it's own.