Over 100 New Mouths To Feed

teresaq

very nice.
I read something the other day about the lighting on a fry tank. It said to keep the light on the side towards the bottom, bbs are atracted to the light, so the babies stay farther down in the water and that way they dont snick air,
Good Luck
Did any from your first batch make it.
Teresa

monalisa

OS, after the birth of my brood, I spoke on the phone with someone from one of the big horsie sites and I was told to expect another brood in about 2 weeks. Sadly, I've lost my whole first brood due to being completely inept in having food available for them, but Rykna will be coming to spend a day or 2 with me to help me with a feeding set up for babies. I'm hoping that I can raise some of my kuda babies successfully this next time...
Best of luck with yours...it's very exciting, isn't it??
Lisa

monalisa

Originally Posted by GNorman
in the first video it looks like he ate one of the babies...is this normal?
I had to look twice as well, but the mysis shrimp is the same size as the babies...I think he just got hungry for lunch...mysis shrimp. When my pair had their brood, I looked around the tank and wondered "where is all the mysis getting blown up from????" Of course on further inspection...babies for days.
Lisa

old_salt

Originally Posted by GNorman
in the first video it looks like he ate one of the babies...is this normal?
It was a brine shrimp. I had just fed them before he started releasing the babies. Shortly before he released the 2 you can see in the video, he released about 50 at one time. Wish I had the camera ready then, but I was too busy rounding up the babies to be taking movies. There was one deformed and a couple appeared to be still born. The rest are very active and swimming all over the nursery (15 gallon tank). Still having trouble keeping them away from the sponge, but did add some hitching material a short distance away so most are spending the night there instead of up against the sponge.

old_salt

Originally Posted by ghola5
That is so cool.... how many normally survive?
Not really sure what is normal. One of my other horses had 43 babies on the 20th of Oct and today only 10 are still living. This would be almost 25 percent if they live to be adults. I have read that they estimate that even less of a percentage survive in the wild (not sure how they could possibly get accurate data). For my first brood I am very happy to still have the 10 remaining and hope they continue to thrive. Right now they are just about triple the size of the ones born today and yesterday (he released 4 last night). I am feeding them newborn baby brine and S strain rotifers. Will keep you posted on how they do.

old_salt

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
OS, after the birth of my brood, I spoke on the phone with someone from one of the big horsie sites and I was told to expect another brood in about 2 weeks. Sadly, I've lost my whole first brood due to being completely inept in having food available for them, but Rykna will be coming to spend a day or 2 with me to help me with a feeding set up for babies. I'm hoping that I can raise some of my kuda babies successfully this next time...
Best of luck with yours...it's very exciting, isn't it??
Lisa
I think the food issue is why I lost so many of the first brood. I had no idea how much rotifers to feed them and I could never get enough baby brine to hatch to feed them more than 2 times a day. I now have this problem solved but still not sure about the rotifers. I have read that Kuda fry are much more difficult to raise than H. erectus. All of the babies born from this one were light in color and the ones from the previous brood were almost all black. I wish you luck with your next brood.

nu2salt

old salt...r you gonna sell them? or are you gonna have a really big family? that is alot of mouths to feed.

zeke92

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
very nice.
I read something the other day about the lighting on a fry tank. It said to keep the light on the side towards the bottom, bbs are atracted to the light, so the babies stay farther down in the water and that way they dont snick air,
Good Luck
Did any from your first batch make it.
Teresa
yep, and i suggest everone does this. it's just an easy trick tokeep them from getting bloated with air. plus it keeps the bbs in one area for the horses.

Hi there!! Congrats!!!
I am the one that posted about having light at the bottom of the tank...it is much easier yo make sure the lil ones are eating......I always had my fry in a 3gal hex and at feeding time I would turn off the main light and put a light angled towards the bottom half of the tank...this will attract the bbs and u will be able to make sure ur babies are eating. HTH

I had a lot of sucess with my fry this way

old_salt

Originally Posted by NyButterfly03
Hi there!! Congrats!!!
I am the one that posted about having light at the bottom of the tank...it is much easier yo make sure the lil ones are eating......I always had my fry in a 3gal hex and at feeding time I would turn off the main light and put a light angled towards the bottom half of the tank...this will attract the bbs and u will be able to make sure ur babies are eating. HTH

I had a lot of sucess with my fry this way
Did you start off feeding them baby brine? I have a couple bottles of the S-strain rotifers but no clue how much to feed them. Should I dump the whole bottle in the sump? I'm getting a good amount of BBS on a daily basis now but would hate for them to die because they are too large for them to eat. Anything else besides rotifers and BBS you would recommend? After 24 hours I could find no casualties (much better than with the last brood).

I fed newly hatched BBS.....I was caught off guard for my first batch as well. Mine did well with the bbs...I just watched to make sure everyone was eating.
The only other thing I offered was cyclopeeze. I did have some success and some heartbreak...it is a very difficult task but I wish you the best of luck with ur lil family. I hope to have a breedinf pair again soon!!!

old_salt

Originally Posted by Rykna
Can I fry sit???

If Minnesota wasn't so far away I'd take you up on this offer :)
I am now feeding them twice (sometime 3) times a day and conducting daily water changes and tank cleaning. So far I have only found one that didn't make it and many appear to be snicking the bbs. I have added S-Strain rotifers daily since they were born and will continue to do so until I see the majority snicking the bbs. I am also feeding the other 10 babies from the other brood 24+ hours bbs enriched with Selcon and Vita Chem. I now have to start planning for what to do if the majority of these babies to indeed survive for the next few weeks. A friend of mine that owns one of the LFS's has a seahorse tank set up and ready to go (he was planning to buy a pair for his wife, but so far all that he has had shipped in were DOA). I can probably get him to take care of some in this tank, but that would still result in way too many occupants for my 15G nursery tank. I wonder if it would be okay to put some back in the DT where they were born should they be eating frozen mysis in about 8 or 9 weeks? I've had several offers to buy some, but I am so leery about shipping them. I don't have heat packs and proper packing supplies to make sure they arrive safely. Any suggestions