over heating

Indy.
Yes there is a problem with the high temp.
I read that the higher the temp the more active the fish get and their live span decreases. Also the fish will concume more food even though you should feed them less. I do not know if this affects inverts but I want my tank to stay at below 80 and above 72.
Adam

fishinchick

Sometimes my system gets warm too and with the cost of electricity in CA like it is now (eek) I keep 1 litre bottles from drinking Pepsi throughly washed and filled with water, I put them in the sump and it helps alot. I also blow a fan over the top of the tank. I asked my husband one time to do this function for me one time when I was as work and found that he placed the bottles into the top of the tank to float freely an then blew the fan over them. It appeared to work better than my way, BUT it gave this Los Angeles Harbor look with the darn bottles floating in there!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :D

maxx

I just wantd to throw in, that if you use ice to cool down a tank (i.e. bags of ice, ice packs) that it can put the fish into shock if too dramatic of a temp change. Read that in a book :D
Maxx

dburr

If I know a hot day is coming I will open the windows at night with a fan in the window facing in in to blow cooler air in. When I get up I shut the windows lower the shades set the tank lights to come on later (also shorten the photoperiod)and it dont warm up until about 4:00 p.m. in the house. :) hope this helps