Over Lighting?

josh f

I have a 20 gal setup with only 2 18" flourescents on a regular hood, with a piece of glass under it... it sits on the tank... and I am about to add one 175w Metal Halide... how should I go about this? Should I remove the hood? With the one MH it will be a bit over 8w per gallon? and with the flourescents it would be over 9, should I put the MH( it is just the ballast and the wiring and the socket) in a hood or something I make myself? Or should I find a way to suspend it over the setup? There is a gap... approx 6in between the current fixture and the back of the tank, will the light from the MH be able to get into the tank ok? I want to start adding a few small corals and I guess that the lighting would be sufficent, but would it be TOO much?

mithrax

I read that it is better to have too much of the light than less after all no light can duplicate sunlight. Your concern will be the heat you will generate. You will definitely need fan.
:cool:

eric the red

Josh, I would make a canopy of some type,cause MH get very hot. Most HID lights(high intensity dischagre) operate at 410 degrees at the outer bulb, and 200 at the base. So you old plastic hood wood definatly begin to melt soon. Check out about.com in they're salt water section they have many DIY projects for lighting.

josh f

Well, thats what I was wondering, how to set up the lights over the tank... any ideas? Cooling shouldnt be that big of a problem, I can figure something out.

josh f

What is a good type of light for night viewing? Can I put those in the 2 15w 18" strips and keep it on the hood so that I can see the noctural creatures run around and make funny faces?

kdlbem

I've seen red light on reef tanks for night viewing, and it looks cool, and doesn't seem to bother the critters.
B