overfeeding of seaweed selects?

saltymom

I have a yellow tang, and an atlantic blue tang in my 180. Every other evening I put a whole sheet on each end of the tank. thats two full sheets ..one on each end. The lawnmower blenny picks at it some.. the coral beauty messes around it. Sometimes the chocchip or a snail shows up on it... But the two tangs eat it til its gone...this ontop of them eating everything else we feed the tank at night. ANYWAY..Im sure they are getting enuff..but are they like horses? Do they actually need to graze constantly like that, will they founder!! LOL..should I put sheets in there every single day? I know they arent starving they are fat as hogs.
what does anyone else think?

gilpil

You are doing good, I would say once a week with the Tangs, they will eat everything. Maybe in that week put a good portion of the Green Seaweed Selects, then in the same week put a much smaller portion of the Red Seaweed Selects. Both have different beneficial attributes.

nitram

I think there like 6" by 6" which is large. Is this OK to do or am I not giving mine enpough because I dont put a hole sheet in mine I usally cut off a slice about 2"by 6" and he its that about every other day. But I just have a sailfin tang plus other fish but noalgae eaters except crabs and snails.

elfdoctors

The amount will vary by the size of the tangs and how much the other fish are eating. If the amount is not consumed with several hours, you are probably overfeeding. To maintain their bright colors, tangs require veggies in their diet. However they are omnivores so they will eat other food after they acclimate to it. The grazing that they need can be accomplished by picking at the live rock.
I feed my fish a small strip 6 days/week. I alternate between green, red and brown seaweed selects. A package will usually have 10 large and 10 small sheets. A small sheet is 1/3rd the size of the larger sheets.