Overflow box design/dimesnions

acrylic51

I've read the thread and it was talked about joining the lines and the discussion of increasing line size was brought up. It was advised though to keep them separate, could cause issues.

acrylic51

Sorry Al didn't see your post but will send you the info this evening when I get home....
1Guy acrylic does absorb water. Depending on type of acrylic the absorption rate is different though. As far as making an overflow box shouldn't be an issue though. I'd recommend the WeldOn 4 over the 16!!!! Mere fact is 4 is cleaner, easier and stronger than 16. I assume the 75 gallon tank is glass?

1guydude

Quote:
1Guy acrylic does absorb water. Depending on type of acrylic the absorption rate is different though. As far as making an overflow box shouldn't be an issue though. I'd recommend the WeldOn 4 over the 16!!!! Mere fact is 4 is cleaner, easier and stronger than 16. I assume the 75 gallon tank is glass?
ya i like glass tanks!
Thxs for telling me which weld on to go with! Is the 4 the more gel like stuff or is it the watered down one? I was gonna go with the more glue/gel looking one!
Im asking about the acrylic cuz i want to put baffles in a 10gal for my 20L. It would be kool if u could post up the dimensions of that too Al! I think uve done em in the past (10gal sump designs)...... I made measurements myself but made em a lil short cuz i heard that the acrylic will expand and could break my sump! How tall can i make the baffles too? I want the water level to be high in my skimmer section cuz the skimmer im already using requires it...

acrylic51

Sorry for slow response.....Work is killing me, but the WeldOn 4 is water like.....The reaction of the solvent would be similar to alcohol. It evaporates rather quickly and cool when spritzed on the skin.....Probably not the best thing for your body, but it's a cool feeling.......
Again acrylic does absorb water.....How much depends.....If your trying to compare how a piece of wood or such would absorb water and become bloated, then no......Most of the time to the naked eye the acrylic absorbing water you wouldn't notice. Where you would notice it is when you cut your baffles to close/tight, and the glass tank breaks.....Very good indication, but the acrylic doesn't absorb it quickly as well over time.....If your acrylic baffles are cut correctly there isn't any issues and has been done many, many times without issues.....
As far as your other glue/gel solvent......Personally I would stick with the WeldOn 4.......I'm not sure off the top of my head, but have worked a bit with WeldOn 40 and it is a major learning curve, where I feel anyone could easily pick up a bottle of WeldOn 4 and make it happen. WeldOn 40 which is super strong, is a 2 part mix......They have to be mixed correctly(ratio) and it produces a good bit of heat, but the welds/bonds are crystal clear. WeldOn 16 on the other hand is a syrupy solvent, and hard to apply due to bubbles and just messy.....It skims over causing shrinkage and not actually making a very strong joint.......

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/388830/overflow-box-design-dimesnions/20#post_3432603
ya i like glass tanks!
Thxs for telling me which weld on to go with! Is the 4 the more gel like stuff or is it the watered down one? I was gonna go with the more glue/gel looking one!
Im asking about the acrylic cuz i want to put baffles in a 10gal for my 20L. It would be kool if u could post up the dimensions of that too Al! I think uve done em in the past (10gal sump designs)...... I made measurements myself but made em a lil short cuz i heard that the acrylic will expand and could break my sump! How tall can i make the baffles too? I want the water level to be high in my skimmer section cuz the skimmer im already using requires it...
Sorry I forgot to post the 10 g sump I will do that first thing tomorrow.