Overflow box for 125?

mjordan23

I am getting ready to purchase an overflow for a 125 oceanic. What do you think about the CS150 Continuous Siphon Overflow (CPR) bulkhead is 1.5inches says it pumps 1600 GPH. Is this sufficient. There is a CPR that pumps 1200 gph but has 2 1inch bulkheads. Which is better for myself.....I am going to probably make my sump out of tupperware from target with a drip plate and 5 gallons of bioballs? What overflow should I get and what size pump would I need? Do I need to pump that many gallons or just the stronger the pump the better?
Thanks

saltfan

the more you can overflow the better. Your pump has to match the overflow, after all the elbows are put into place and the distance of the return. And or you can get a bigger pump and T off it back to the sump iwth a valve, this will allow the max water to flow through the pump, and not siphon all the water out of it, and not harm the pump also. TurningTim or Squidd can explain it in more detail than I can.

turningtim

My ears are ringing! Whats up?
First, A couple of questions MJ. What do you want to keep in the tank. Different critters need different flow. SaltFan is correct the bigger the better. Are you running a sump/fuge or just a sump. What other equipment are you thinking about?
First JMO I won't waste the cash on a CPR and heres why. They depend on a pump to start up after power out. IF that aqua lifter doesn't work the return pump will flood the main tank. I know you have probably heard that U-tubes fail and you will have a flood yada,yada. A properly set up U-tube over-flow will not, can not fail period. Did everybody catch the PROPERLY SET-UP PART! CPR depends on a mechanical device for there use. Mechancal devices fail and ususally at the worng times. U-tube uses gravity and I don't ever remember gravity failing.
So with that out of the way again JMO its your call.
Now what can I do for you?
Tim

mjordan23

the tank is going to be for fish only with some live rock.........Im going to only be using a sump, which I plan on buidling via the plans on this site via Tupperware from Target ect...I dont know what protein skimmer...What overflow would u recommend then. You have to forgive me if Im alittle lost...I didnt know CPR was mechanical......Im loooking to get the best I can at a decent price......I think I have an idea about a UTube overflow but is there one that you buy and who makes em and what GPH should I be getting.
Please help!
Thanks

saltfan

Originally Posted by MJordan23
with the CPR do u have to be the Aqua lifter pump for it???? If so, how much are they around?
$7

saltfan

Hey Tim, I thought that the weir that the cpr uses just keeps the air from developing in there. I thought that the weir itself would sustain a siphon just like a U-Tube.? MarinLand Tide Pool II utilizes a type of U-Tube, but its a removeable weir, flat long skinny u-tube, and does not need a air lifter to keep it running, the only difference between this one and the cpr OF is the Tide Pool is a removable tube, where as the cpr is not. S.O.S. Pre Filter, is the name. :notsure:
Hmm, after further review, couldn't you eliminate the weir that the cpr uses and buy a U-Tube for it??

sacfishguy

i use to have the cs150. it kept breaking siphon even with the aquialifter pump. i wouldn't waste the cash on that. I would recommened going with the J-tube type much better. just my 2 cents

turningtim

Its not that it needs the pump to keep running. It needs it to start the siphon itself. So when the power goes out it has to evacuate the air in the CPR to start the siphon again. And yes they will break siphon by themselves also.......
Tim

mjordan23

ok so what is the best brand to get then giving me the best flow rate besides the CPR.......I have a 75 gallon tank at my parents house that has an old overflow on it......there is no pump but its not a tube either........its green....i think it was called a Mandarin....not really sure....but anyways suggestions are welcomed on what specific one to get

turningtim

Really can't say a brand but what you're looking for is a 1200 gph overflow. It will have 2-1" U-tubes and 2-1" drain pipes. In the outter box that hangs off the back will be three compartments. On each end is where the U-tubes go and the middle is where the drains are. You can retro a couple of durso or stockman standpipes to make it run quite.
If you go that route then we can calc the head loss and get you a pump sized to max flow. But probably around a Mag 18 or similar pump.
This set-up will get you close to 10x turnover for the tank and maybe 2 maxi jet 1200 (295 each i think) will get you close to 1800 gph or 14x turnover which is more than enough for what you want to do.....
JMO
HTH
Tim

mjordan23

thanks for the input...im gonnna prolly get a u-tube but I cant seem to find one that will do 100 gph please name me some brands and where to look for them.....I only see some that do like 6-- gph and If i do 2 bulkhead on 1 overflow..can i still only use 1 pump in the sump.
Thanks

turningtim

Yes b/c you will combine the drains into the sump. Probably also want to split the returns back to the tank.
Tim

turningtim

Google search U-tube overflow. Found a couple on the auction site too. If you can't find a single 1200, consider 2 600's.
Or pay me enough and I'll make you one.......
Tim

saltfan

Originally Posted by TurningTim
Its not that it needs the pump to keep running. It needs it to start the siphon itself. So when the power goes out it has to evacuate the air in the CPR to start the siphon again. And yes they will break siphon by themselves also.......
Tim
Are you sure they break siphon? ITs just like a u-tube, why would it break siphon? They are set up identical to a u-tube OF. Only reason I ask is I jsut one of the darn things, and now you got me jumipin up and down scratching my head. Can a U-Tube be installed in place of the weir?

turningtim

Saltfan in my research and experience I have seen and heard of them breaking the siphon when shutdown and this is why it is nesssary to use the pump to start it up again. I was very close to getting one myself and after reading and seeing one in action I decided against it. I am not saying that they don't work because they do I just am not comfortable with depending on something mechanical to remove the water from my tank. As I said before I have had no problems with U-tubes in many years of FW and now SW tanks.
Its up to you I am sure that people have used them with out a problem but theres always that one time.....
I just think that if it is not broken then don't fix it. Thats why I'll stick with U-tube until my drilled tank is up and running.
JMO
Tim

turningtim

Hey saltfan just try and see what happens. I mean you already have it give it shot and see. Maybe you can think of a mod or something.
Hey if you have luck ya never know...........
No worries
Tim

saltfan

Originally Posted by sacfishguy
i use to have the cs150. it kept breaking siphon even with the aquialifter pump. i wouldn't waste the cash on that. I would recommened going with the J-tube type much better. just my 2 cents
Question for you. Did you try to just bypass the weir syphon, and use a U-Tube for this?

mjordan23

turningtim......i did some research and im thinking about an Amiracle....went on a popular auction site and its 63 bucks for OPPFS-S Amiracle PreFilter 1200 GPH....does this sound like a good price......I was looking at LifeReef but they seem really expensive.....I have ruled out CPR and are the TropicMarine S.O.S. junky or any good....