Overflow Box/Sump Question

jobu28

So i changed out my canister filters today for a wet/dry using two hob overflow boxes. These things are unbelievably loud. The tank is in my living room and the wife already asked how long it was going to be like this. The bulk of the sound is coming from the overflow boxes. I have the foam sponges that came with it in there. Is there any way to silence these things? I also left one canister running until the wet/dry is seeded. How long do you guys think it will take until i can take off the canister?

aquaguy24

there are a couple of ways to silence ur overflow box but i silenced my overflow box the easy way...i put a towel over the top opening...its pretty quite now..i have my tank in my bedroom and i barely notice the noise at night..and it should be fine to remove the canister filter now..

scsinet

If these are the U-Tube overflows like the lifereefs or eshoppes, they probably come with little sections of PVC pipe that fit into the bulkhead, then the sponges fit over them.
I quieted mine down significantly by drilling a whole bunch of 3/8" holes all over the sides of that PVC pipe. Then I put it back into place and placed a small object (I used an old flake food container cap) over the hole in the top of the sponge. That made my overflow nearly silent.

cglover226

i had a block of foam (like the pices they use for sound dampening for music) cut it to fir snugly in the top of the overflow box and its pretty quiet

camfish

I just put a piece of airline tubing down the hole and adjust it to the point where it is almost silent...then I put a towel over it. Not completely quite...but it doesn't sound like a flushing toilet now.