Overflow Box

triga22

Do I need an overflow box for my sump? I am wondering this becuase it seems as if you could just run pipes straight from the aquarium and save 40$'s?

triga22

Even though I went through all of the work planning the sump out.. Im just going to screw it now.. Im not spending that money..

robosapien

Originally Posted by TriGa22
Even though I went through all of the work planning the sump out.. Im just going to screw it now.. Im not spending that money..
I'm new to the Aquarium hobby myself, and finding it to be quite expensive when starting up a tank. The thing that I keep asking is, is it worth it to spend a lot of money up front, do your homework, and set the thing up properly. Or constantly keep spending money to replaced dead fish?

robosapien

Originally Posted by TriGa22
I'm new to the Aquarium hobby myself, and finding it to be quite expensive when starting up a tank. The thing that I keep asking is, is it worth it to spend a lot of money up front, do your homework, and set the thing up properly. Or constantly keep spending money to replace dead fish?

triga22

I have 2 perfectly good hob filters with a skimmer.. My water has been fine for the yr its been set up. Ill end up doing a sump.. Just when i get money.. Im only 14 I dont have a job.

msd2

Originally Posted by Robosapien
I'm new to the Aquarium hobby myself, and finding it to be quite expensive when starting up a tank. The thing that I keep asking is, is it worth it to spend a lot of money up front, do your homework, and set the thing up properly. Or constantly keep spending money to replaced dead fish?
It is expensive at startup but a excellent way to cut cost is buy used. Ppl are always getting out of the hobby/upgrading gear and typically used hardware goes for 50% or less. And if you cut corners on something like an overflow box you wind up with alot more then dead fish, more like a flooded room and burnt out motors from running dry.

msd2

Originally Posted by ahmoser
Why cant you just pump the water out of the DT into the sump and then back in the DT?
Sounds great in theory but good luck on ever getting two pumps to match exactly equal output. The slightest variation will eventually cause either the dt or the sump to overflow.
The overflow varies from a simple pipe in several ways. The biggest being it doesnt lose prime if your tank stops flowing, and will restart flowing once water is pumped back in. So say for some reason ur pump in the sump stops working. The pipe in the tank will suck water until it cant reach anymore water at which point it will form an air pocket in the pipe. Your sump restarts, unless your there to reprime it the pipe wont flow and eventually all the water in the sump will wind up in the dt likely cascading down the front. The other perk of a overflow is its limiting ablity to the water that flows into ur sump if the pump stops, usually a few gallons. They also diffuse the suction of the water so lil fishies can get away before being pulled into the sump.