overflow box

trouble93

Is there anybody out there that can help...I have a 55gal. diplay tank. I am using a 20gal.tank for a sump. I would like to do it all by my own hands. IF there anybody that might have plans on how building the overflow box, that will be my last task. I have everything else done and ready to go. Someone told me I can go to my local Lowes or a hardware store and get the things I need. All I need to know is what to get. Thanks for your help in this matter. James

D

dennis210

Can't say I have ever built the overflow boxes, as it would involve precise drilling, some fancy cutting/sawing, IMO order one and hook it up!

natclanwy

There are some plans in the Equipment section for building an overflow out of PVC not sure what the cost is or how well it works though. The other option is to get an Eshopps overflow they are pretty cheap @ about $40.

rotarygeek

A HOB filter is Hang On Back filter. Its the ones with the tubes that go down into the water, and carbon packs inside of it. Its a generalization of all that style filters. You won't be running one becuase you have a sump and that pretty much is the best kind of filtration. I have just about the same set up you do, but with a 10 gallon as my sump. I have a cheapo eshopps overflow box rated at 700 or 800 gph and a queit one 2200 as my return pump. With the amount of work it would take to build one, and buying all the misc. tools you need to make it, i would just pay for one. They look much better that way too.

bojik

Originally Posted by RotaryGeek
http:///forum/post/2757875
A HOB filter is Hang On Back filter. Its the ones with the tubes that go down into the water, and carbon packs inside of it. Its a generalization of all that style filters. You won't be running one becuase you have a sump and that pretty much is the best kind of filtration. I have just about the same set up you do, but with a 10 gallon as my sump. I have a cheapo eshopps overflow box rated at 700 or 800 gph and a queit one 2200 as my return pump. With the amount of work it would take to build one, and buying all the misc. tools you need to make it, i would just pay for one. They look much better that way too.
Yep. But a dead back filter housing works great *laughs* especially that one brand, I forget the name, with the removable magneto no drilling to do :). and pcv cement welds em.