overflow box

nate_j

i just made my own overflow box and i was just wondering when i get it all hooked up with the hoses and the pipe that goes from the inside(inside the tank") to the outside(outside of the tank) will it naturally balance its self out or do i have to move the overflow box up and down to either restrict or add more flow to the sump. so either the tank wont overflow or the water level wont drop..the sump is also diy.....so what i'm saying overall is with the overflow box does the gravity sort its self out naturally or do you have to move the boxup and down to compensate for it ....thanks
nate_j

phil1964

This was the scariest part of setting up my tank.
I had visions of a waterfall but it just worked.
Good luck.

phil1964

It was part of a purchased filter.
I had the tank filled with powerheads and heaters going.
It took me 2 days to get the guts to plug in the pump on the filter.
It worked fine for a while and then, I still can't figure out why, the water level in the tank rose and I had an overflow. But after that it works just fine. SO FAR!

jumpfrog

The amount flowing through you over flow will be mostly dependent on the return flow from your sump. Which is control by the power of pump. Provided the pump is stronger than the overflows capacity you should be fine. Best thing to do is put a ball valve on the output of you return pump. Start the flow through your overflow and turn on your pump with the valve fairly restricted. If all goes well continue opening up your ball valve until it's either wide open or you can see that the overflow is losing ground to pump. (note the volume fall in the sump, if too far the overflow is losing ground)
Just play with it and you'll find your sweet spot.
Good Luck!

jumpfrog

Ball valve is a way to reduce the amount of water coming out of your return pump. Available at all home improvement stores and most better LFS. The reason to add one is to allow you to reduce your return flow in case your pump out produces your overflow. If your overflow can only drain 600gph and you pump pushes 800gph. You will have water flowing over the top of your tank. Not a good thing. With a ball valve you can reduce the flow coming from your return to better match your overflow drain.
Make sense?

P

pirate_bob

I would also recommend a check valve incase you have a power outage..... you can get them from any home improvement store for about 5 dollers.

Consumer alert!
Please read the other thread on check valves before you buy one. The thread is called 'how many people use one way valves'. They can be a great hardware investment, however the hardware store variety are usually not the best choice.
Good Luck!
-Christine
:)

jpawson

Do ball valves have to be used with pvc fittings or can they be run with 3/4 inch tubing? Is the check valve necessary only if you do not have the small hole in the plastic return piece?

What you can do is get a pvc ball valve with threaded female ends. Then get a pvc fitting that is male threaded on one side and barb fitted to 3/4" hose on the other. Attach one to each end and you have a ball valve that can be spliced into a hose. These barb fittings are used for outdoor irrigation systems. They are usually grey pvc and can be found at Home Depot (you just have to ask, they were on a very high shelf at the one near me, had to get a ladder).
Yes the check valve is a redundant feature. I have both a check valve (between the pump and the ball valve) and the anti siphon holes (I have 2 return lines). Many people just have the anti-siphon holes. I did alot of research and got a great check valve for about $11 for McMaster-Carr online. Its a swing pvc, installed vertically. (You do not want to get the type that has a spring in it)
I hope this helps.
Good Luck,
-Christine

jpawson

Hey, I appreciate the advice. I went to Home Depot and put something together. I am pleased. I made my returns out of 3/4" PVC pipe. I am going to drill some nice size holes into them in a location under the water level and see if that will stop the back siphon. Here is what I was wondering. I would like to paint the PVC that is in the tank black. Is there a special paint I need to use for pieces that are submerged?
I cant wait to get this pump running.

I am way to scared to paint my pvc. I hear that it gets covered with corraline algae pretty quickly, and thats OK with me. I remember someone on this board posting photos of a spray bar that he made from pvc and he painted his. There was some discussion about the paint on that thread. I cant remember his user name. Try a forum search and see if you can find it. Maybe someone else can chime in here, I really dont know. I would be careful about which kind of paint you choose should you set your mind to using it, but Im sure you know that already:D
Good Luck!
-Christine:)