Overflow bulkhead GPH

trompet3

I tried searching the board, but didn't find the answer...
I'm planning a new tank and need to figure out what size bulkheads to drill for. How many GPH is each pipe diameter capable of? Raalistically only 3/4", 1", 1.5", 2". I'm not looking at doing 1/2" or 4" overflows!
Thanks

reefnut

That's kind of a hard question to answer because it depends. If you look at CPR overflows they have one overflow that uses a 1" bulk head that is rated for 600gph and another using a 1" bulk head rated for 800gph... the only difference is the size of the overflow box. The amount of head pressure will also make a huge difference.
Hopefully someone has a general chart you can look at but the best thing to do may be to post your setup and get opinions on what size you should go with.

trompet3

Thanks for the reply.
I haven't decided yet on the exact tank, but am thinking of going with perhaps a 240 long from GC (96 x 24 x 25). I was going to go with an 8 way oceans motion and have them drill 8 holes all over the back and if possible the bottom for the outlet and one or two holes for the inlet. I was thinking of maybe 1 or 2 overflows.

robchuck

Are you looking to overflow the water through bulkheads drilled in the upper corners of the tank with 90* PVC fittings, or on the bottom of the tank in overflow boxes where standpipes would be used?
The reason for this question is bulkheads on the back of the tank drain much less water than bulkheads in an overflow box with a standpipe attached.

trompet3

I was thinking overflow boxes with standpipes.
An aside question...besides lower flow, is there any other disadvantage to the upper corner overflows? Why would you choose one or the other.