overflow gurgling?

hmmhmm

i have a hang on overflow box...a 90gal tank, a sump pump rated @ 600gph at 4' lift....the overflow tube going to the wet/dry filter is carrying air down it or has air caught in there...i can see bubbles where the inline feed is going to the sump...

is the hang on box working too hard? or is there a way to get the bubbles to stop?
thanks!

squidd

What kind of 'standpipe" do you have in the overflow...vertical pipe with holes in the side...??
Do a "search" for Durso or stockman pipes for an answer to the "gurgling" problem...either here...on the reef forum...or definitely on the DIY and Equipment forum...

krowleey

do you have a little

[hr]
on the overflow box? if so u hook up a little hose to that and to a powerhead to eliminate your air problem. HTH

beaslbob

I have some gurglingo on my HOB overflow also. I try to muffle it by placing sponges on top.
Just a guess but my gut feel is that a long vertical pipe causes the gurgleing.
maybe someone can tell me if this sounds correct or like a good idea.
running some right angles in the return to limit the vertical drop.
putting an airline type

[hr]
on the horizontal runs to break up any suction or air pockets.
Run airlines back to the display so water dos not leak out the the floor.

hmmhmm

i'm going to do what squidd said, i have searched for the durso stand pipe and everyone else that has made it has made it for this gurgling noise...so i'm heading to homedepot now to get the parts...i'll let you guys know how it comes out!
thanks squidd!

beaslbob

kip: interesting. may be somthing i add to the HOB commercial overflow i have. thanks.
My prefilter is around the return. How do I implement the prefilter with that design?

squidd

Here's a pic of a "durso" style pipe...They do take a bit more room in an overflow box than a stockman...but as you see they do fit.
This is a 1" pipe over a 3/4" bulkhead on my 20...when you go to the 1 1/4" size they do get "bulky"...
But they are quiet...:D