overflow help

isistius

i have a 54 corner with a stote-bought durso. this thing keeps getting louder and louder. it drains into a wetdry. i've removed all of the bioballs and replaced them with foam blocks to cut down on the noise. well - it's not working anymore. any suggestions? last night i could hear it draining from close to 50 feet away. i can't even watch tv anymore without turning off my return.
any suggestions would be much appreciated.

ryancw01

What is the gph of your return pump at your tank height? From my experience, you just need about 3-5 times your tank size for the return pump and have pumps inside the aquarium for the real circulation. Your return pump maybe too strong?

ryancw01

Well, that is probably it. I know it sucks replacing that mag pump because they are strong and they last forever, but TV is important so you gotta make it happen. I had the same problem with mine and I just switched out an expensive pump for a cheap Rio and problem is fixed and I didnt have to spend a lot of money. I still have the mag 3 for my chiller, but had to get rid of the high flow in my sump/refugium.

darren0311

I had the same problem at one point, all i did was (T) off of the return line and have one line go back to tank and a line return into your wet dry, this worked for me

isistius

Originally Posted by darren0311
http:///forum/post/2959023
I had the same problem at one point, all i did was (T) off of the return line and have one line go back to tank and a line return into your wet dry, this worked for me

i guess that will reduce the total flow. did you use the same size line? my return is 3/4". so do you think i should use a 3/4" t all around? or maybe a 3/4 x 1/2 x 3/4 or something like that?

posiden

Originally Posted by darren0311
http:///forum/post/2959023
I agree with this. I think it is better to divert the flow back into the sump rather than choke the pump. I would install a ball valve on the bypass line so you can determine just how much you want going through the bypass, the rest goes to the display.
Oh yea, I would keep it all the same size.