Overflow Matching

reefsoe

I have a little giant external and since the cleaning its running much faster then it ever has ( I purchased it used ) Now my overflow cant handle the rate... 3000 RPM Model # 2-M0 and I was wondering what a good overflow would be to get and what I can do in the meantime
Little Giants Site is under const. so I cant view GPH

squidd

Is that a 2-MDQ-SC...?? If so it's only 465gph @ 3', 410gph @ 6'
Maybe an older model/number...??

reefsoe

1.65 Amp dont know if that helps... the other half of the lable is worn away.. but it could be what you say
I guess the overflow I have isnt rated for that much which stinks cause now I need another idea temporarily.
I had the overflow running plus another intake tube from an eheim just siphoning into the sump and both those couldnt keep up on a 75g I think I need a much larger overflow

shep

pur a valve into the return line and partially close it...I am running 1200 gph pump at 5' but have it choked down to work with 1000gph overflow. This method is especially handy if running multiple return lines. You can adjust current in different places. I myself have 4 retuns. One in lower left corner, one upper right coner, one into liverock structure in center of tank and one runs across the bottom with 1/4 inch holes drilled into it to flow upward. Each line has a ball velve and can be adjusted to match the flow needed in that area.

beaslbob

Or perhaps you can put a valve on your return line with one output returning to the tank and the other to your sump. Then the pump can go full spead and you can regulate the amount of water returned to the tank.
The best, as you stated, is to get/build an overflow with more capacity.