overflow noise

fish man

I just set up my overflow with u tubes yesterday and everything is going ok but I am getting a lot of noise from the overflow box. Any ideas on how to quiet it down? I have pvc pipes in it with holes in them and sponge type covers over the pvc pipes going to the hoses to the sump. Also my mag 5 pump is making a lot of noise also. Should a return pump be noisy?

al&burke

Is it making a gurgling sound - I ask because I just set up a sump on a FW set up I ended up putting a gate valve on the drain and just closing it enough to put some back pressure on the drain so no air gets sucked in. You can try a ball valve but a gate valve can be fine tuned. Good luck You shouldn't need the sponge in your overflow once you put the gate valve in. As far as the pump goes see what happens after you fix the drain. They should be pretty quite.

fish man

it is kinda making a gurgling sound. Where would you put the gate valve at or ball valve because once the water goes to the overflow it goes to the drain hoses to the sump

al&burke

Where ever it is easy to access - I have mine right at the sump - once you set it it should not need any adjustment unless you change the flow rate to the DT. Before I put the gate valve in I put a clamp on the 1" hose and closed it it worked but a little finacky, do yourself a favor and get a gate valve you won't be sorry.

fish man

they are almost underwater but the sound is coming from the overflow box. Do you think that I need to fully submerse both hoses in the water?

J

jstdv8

Easy fix... take a piece of vinyl tubing that is about 1/2" or 3/8" diameter and put it in the drain tube in the top, adjust it up and down until gurgling stops.
Now that you have a quiet overflow that is ugly witht his piece of tubing sticking out you can think about other real life fixes... google durso standpipe and then build one.

fish man

i have pvc pipes in the overflow box, Do I need to remove them and try the vinyl tubing method? It looks to me like once the water reaches the top of the pvc pipe that is when it starts that noise

al&burke

Either or I think the gate valve might be a little easier to set up you just have to cut your pipe and put in a gate valve. I thought you might have vinyl tubing just to show you that it works, before you buy a gate valve.

acrylic51

IMHO I would not put any type of restriction on the drain side.....I would toy with different setups as far as down pipes/drain pipes inside the overflow box. Be it a straight piece of PVC pipe with holes drilled in it, or serrated pipe or something on the lines of and adjustable durso pipe

mkroher

No, the more ways for air to escape the less noise you'll have.
I drilled a few small holes in my drain pipe just above the water level in the sump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish man http:///forum/thread/382879/overflow-noise#post_3344633
they are almost underwater but the sound is coming from the overflow box. Do you think that I need to fully submerse both hoses in the water?

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/382879/overflow-noise#post_3344669
IMHO I would not put any type of restriction on the drain side.....I would toy with different setups as far as down pipes/drain pipes inside the overflow box. Be it a straight piece of PVC pipe with holes drilled in it, or serrated pipe or something on the lines of and adjustable durso pipe
Why would you not have any restriction on the drain side, as long as you have a back-up I can't see what could go wrong. Just curious Shawn. The link you posted on another thread had gate valves on all the drains, I guess with this set up there is only one drain, then I could see your point Shawn. Learned something new today. Thanks - I guess I just answered my own question.

J

jstdv8

I've always been told to never restrict the drain side as well.

acrylic51

I just caution without a backup drain....Anything odd could happen and block or partially block it and it would pump the sump dry possibly overflowing the DT.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/382879/overflow-noise#post_3344799
I just caution without a backup drain....Anything odd could happen and block or partially block it and it would pump the sump dry possibly overflowing the DT.
Yes - funny my FW planted tank has a back up drain - I was out and one of the fish went exploring in the overflow back got suck into the drain - I was using the clamp of the vinyl drain line and it the fish blocked the flow - had I not the back up it would have overflowed. I since put a screen over the overflow box whick I don't necessarily like.

fish man

I googled the durso standpipe and I am still not 100% sure how they work. Can u please explain in detail how they work on a double overflow