Overflow question

nysharkbait

Just looking for opinions on hanging overflows vs built in overflos. I know hangers optimize tank space, so, other then that what are the positives and negitives? Thanks in advance.

reefkprz

drilled overflows are really the best IMO.
but for the two you listed.
HOB
pros: cheap, takes less space than a built in
cons: limited return pump speeds, tends to have bubble trapping problems, "U" tubes can be prone to algae growth on the ******** and need regular maintinence. can be loud.
built in:
Pros: fairly reliable, not generally as loud as HOB. more pump options for the the return pump up to max capacity of overflow. easier to use. not as much maintinence.
cons: take up a lot of space, tanks with built ins are generally more expensive. can be close to impossible to retrieve a jumper from the built in (or a serious challenge at best)

N

nihoa

ive had both and for me the built in is sweet. the hob might take less space inside the tank but the u tubes stick up a few inches over the side of your tank which is both ugly and hard to work a canopy around. the u tube also collects air bubbles in its top and if you let it go long enough your siphon can break. our system was fail safe for power outages but you lose your siphon and your dt will likely overflow. maybe someone has a fix for that. i think some people use aqualifters or small pumps to maintain their siphons but now you are adding yet more bulk to the contraption.
i was nervous about drilling our tank but im some glad we did.

E

eric b 125

the HOB overflow boxes tend to take up a lot of room behind the tank as well, requiring you to keep the tank further from the wall. i would have to agree with reefkprz on the drilled overflow. this option allows you to tailor the placement of the overflow to your specific demands. the overflow boxes take up little real estate, i think the the 700gph boxes from glass-holes measure 6.5"L X 2"W X 6" H. also, drilling the tank is way cheaper than reef ready tanks.