Overflow questions????

gwheels

would it be smarter to just use a hang on overflow instead of cutting a hole in my display???? and if so, could you recommend a overflow that i should use. I have a 30 g display with a 10 g refuge. thanks for the suggestions.
gwheels

gwheels

is it difficult to drill a bulkhead in an established tank??? thats one reason why i thought it would be easier to use a overflow. Could you explain how to drill a bulkhead also, thanks a bunch.
gwheels

cboyfan2020

Drilling a premade tank is risky. It can shatter if not done properly and I THINK you wiould have to empty out the tank and then drill it. You can take it to a local glass shop and have it drilled but i think you would have to take the pane of glass off. Also if you are drilling the bottom you have to make sure it is not temperes glass or you cant drill it.
Basically you need a diamond glass drill bit and some lubricant(antifreeze, etc.) and preferably a drill press. Determine the size of the hole you want and get a bit that would fit. A 1" hole would require a 1 3/4" drill bit to accomodate the bulkhead.
Do a search on "drilling tanks" and you will find a ton of info. HTH