overflow rates

marcus71

how do you know what size pump you need when you buy RR tanks??
I might be buying a 110 that was drilled and has homemade overflows, how do i know what size pump to use??
will the water flow keep up with the pump, or is their a such thing as too much of a pump for your overflow, sorry not totally sure how to explain.

milomlo

Good question!! I need the answer as well. I just bought a 100 gallon and I need to know what size pump I should get too.
***)

saltfan

Depends on what you have in the tank. But rule of thumb, minimum 12x the turn over rate and hour. imo.

squidd

Originally Posted by Marcus71
how do you know what size pump you need when you buy RR tanks??
I might be buying a 110 that was drilled and has homemade overflows, how do i know what size pump to use??
will the water flow keep up with the pump, or is their a such thing as too much of a pump for your overflow, sorry not totally sure how to explain.
You want the pump to "actually"return at or just under the overflow 'rating"...So yes, you can have too much pump for your overflow...it won't be able to keep up and tank will flood...
Buying a DIY or home made overflow, you won't get a "rating" so flow rate needs to be determined by bulkhead size...
Water flow (drain) will keep up with pump and not exceed it..."up to" the ability of the overflow to take water out...
So your tank won't drain faster than you can pump it up, but you can pump it up faster than it can drain...

marcus71

^ thanks. So lets say i bought to big of a pump, i can just buy a T and a shut off valve to redirect the flow rate.

dr reef

If you buy any all-glass reef ready tanks with the buld in overflows they except 600 GPH each.
All coner units 600GPH
All mega flows 600 GPH

saltfan

Originally Posted by Marcus71
^ thanks. So lets say i bought to big of a pump, i can just buy a T and a shut off valve to redirect the flow rate.
Yes. Exactly.