Overflow siphon question

xtremenemo

there are so many different brands of the same design. But my overflow does not seem able to keep up with my return. Mag24. but i guess it is good for up to 300 gallons. but what ever, i just got another pump in the tank for water circulation. the tank did clear up really good. for more info look at the aggresive forum under my 180 update pics.HTH

lar

How far does the overflow stick out from the tank,
I have only 5" without breaking it down and moving it. Which I don't want to do.

beaslbob

When I set up a sump/refug, my LFS sold me an overflow box similiar to the one above. It really was the best $80 spent. First because it is adjustible on water level and secondly because the hassel of building my own.
When the return pump was just a powerhead, bubbles collected at the high point of the u tube. So each week I had to suck the bubbles out. Once the bubbles accumulated to the point where the syphon broke and the tank overflowed. When I added a mag 5 for a return pump, the water flow through the u tube was fast enough the bubbles were moved completely through the tube and have never collected.
I have also added an airline

[hr]
/valve to the top of the u tube. Opening the valve breaks the syphon when I turn off the pump for sump maintenance. I can later use airline tubing to suck out the u tube air to reestablish the syphon. Then close the vavle.

lar

Tank overflowed:nervous:
Losing the siphon is my primary concern, Pump keeps pumping till it runs dry, I guess keeping a low level in the sump makes sense.
I was going to use a Rio 3100 for the pump, 120gal tank. Not a good choice??
Recommendations?

beaslbob

Lar
Yea. When your overflow (HOB or drilled) fails the water level in the tank increases. And in my case the tank overflowed. Perhaps I should add a water level switch to shut off the pump if the water rises.
Not familiar with the PH or pump you mentioned but there simply was very little water flow with my power head. additionally I had to kinda jerry rig it up to get it connected to the return and such. With my mag 5 I had to add plumbing to the sump because I was using it in the in line mode. But the water flow is much much better and the flow through the U tube really keeps the air bubles out.