Overflow standpipe question

castiron

My 150 has two corner overflows. I've installed a 1 1/2" bulkhead in each side for drains. I figured that I'd want the standpipe a larger diameter than the actual bulkhead. My standpipes are 2" diameter and 26" tall. My problem is that they are noisy and seem to pull so much air down with the water that I'm getting a lot of small air bubbles in the sump and eventually back up to the main tank. Am I undersized on the diameter? Down in the sump I went from a straight down cut off pipe to an upturned U back up to the water level. That helped a bit but there are still too many bubbles for my liking.

squidd

Look into Durso style standpipes for "quiet" opperation...(up-size to fit your application)
How much "flow" are you pushing through your tank/sump...?

golfish

If the Durso takes up too much room, and it probably will with 1.5" bulkheads, do a search on the Stockman stand pipe...It works the same as the Durso but takes up a lot less room.

castiron

I have a mag18 pump with about 5 ft of head. It should be pushing about 1200 gph. The standpipe is in an already tight overflow box. I'll check out the Stockman. Will this help air aspriation as well as the noise?

squidd

Yes a similar air valve control but in a more "compact" package...
I'll see if I can dig up a pic...

squidd

Heres one from the aquasilincer/stockman site (no links you look it up...)
Showing the basic design principal...can be made with common hdwr store parts...
I'll have to draw one up with the actual pieces...:thinking: (I know someone else that's waiting for the design)...

golfish

here's a 1.5" model I made early this week for a buddy...Most HD and Lowes around here don't carry 3" fittings so you might have do call around.
You need 1.5" pipe, a 3" coupler, a 1.5" end cap and a 3" to 1.5" reducer.

golfish

First thing you need to do is shavegrindsand down the inside of the reducer so you can slide the pipe all the way through it. I use a Dremel tool, takes about couple minutes. See picture beflow.
Next you'll need to measure where and cut the hole out in the pipe. Slide the pipe though the reducer until about 1-2" sticks out the top. You want the hole to line up on the bottom. See pic below.
I use a MiterChop saw...see pic of pipe above.

golfish

add the cap and its a done deal..You can intall the air valve on top or just drill the RIGHT size hole..I have used the air valve, for some reason the one I had made a LOT more noise so I just stuck with the hole. The faster the flow the smaller the hole.

castiron

Thank you both for the advise. I took the basic concept and did it on the cheap. $12 at Lowes! Golfish I'm sorry you don't have the 3" fittings because they worked great for me. I purchased two 3" caps and a little bit of aluminum flat stock. I cut the stock to fit across the inside. The inside of the fitting is concave for the water to flow up aand back down the pipe. A hole or two drilled on the top. And they dropped right over my 2: standpipe in a VERY tight overflow box. Noise is virtually eliminated!! Now I just need to figure out the bubbles.

golfish

Originally posted by CastIron
Thank you both for the advise. I took the basic concept and did it on the cheap. $12 at Lowes! Golfish I'm sorry you don't have the 3" fittings because they worked great for me. I purchased two 3" caps and a little bit of aluminum flat stock. I cut the stock to fit across the inside. The inside of the fitting is concave for the water to flow up aand back down the pipe. A hole or two drilled on the top. And they dropped right over my 2: standpipe in a VERY tight overflow box. Noise is virtually eliminated!! Now I just need to figure out the bubbles.

I'm a little mixed up here (nothing new)...I never said I couldn't get the 3" fittings, just that my local HD and Lowes didn't have em..There's a plumbing supply house just down the street that has em. I'm more mixed up on what you did..Why didn't you just make the Stockman pipe like I showed above. The cost is less then $12 and there's no aluminum? is that reef safe? At least you didn't use cast iron:D