Overgrown puffer teeth

veronica

:help: We have a spotted puffer, and lately he is starting to look like bugs bunny!! Can someone offer some advice on how to get his teeth down smaller than what they are? I've read about people filing them down, but I really dont think I can do that! I've also read about feeding them muscles and crayfish. Would that help now, since they are already overgrown? If so, do they have to be alive? Any help is appreciated.
Veronica

veronica

We do feed him cubes of brine shrimp, blood worms &cubes of veggies now. But is any of that keeping his teeth trimmed down? We have shrimp & snails in our tank now and he dont mess with them. Sorry for sounding so anal, Im just worried that his teeth will get to long and he will not be able to eat and die.

benihuma

Have you tried hard shelled foods? Maybe frozen grocery store shrimp with the shells on? Live shrimp or snails? Possibly hermit crabs? Emerald crabs? If it is that much of a concern, I would try any crabs at your LFS. Let me know how it turns out.
Ben

veronica

I just bought frozen shrimp at the store yesterday, Im gonna see how he does with that. I hope he at least tries to eat it. We have alot of crabs in our tank also along with an emerald crab, and he dont bother them. Cross your fingers this helps my little guys chompers!!
Veronica