Overkill....!?

windmill

1200 some-odd gph overflow to a 1200 some-odd gph (Poseidon PS4, Quiet One 5000, any comments/suggestions on pump?) on my 55 gallon.
I'm planning on stocking it with seahorses and batfish.......only kidding.

windmill

Nobody going to touch this?
Come on now, I need a little info. about what to expect current-wise. Anybody else have flow ratings similar? How does it look?

brucewrs

The more water circulation the better.I have two king5's each one pumps 1550gph on my 210gallon tank.

jessecnc

Originally Posted by brucewrs
The more water circulation the better.
Not neccessarily. It depends on what you want to keep. What are your (real) plans for the tank?

windmill

Wow, a response. I thought this one was dead for sure.
I'm planning on having a low-end reef. I'm not willing to shell out the big bucks for MH lighting quite yet. But I was thinking some zoos or acro or mushrooms. Something not too light-needy but colorfull and different. Along with a simple anemone and a crab/clown to go with it. Lots of shrimp and crabs, a yellow coris wrasse, and flame angel as the main attractions. After I upgrade to overflow and sump I might put more fish in, but it's to early to think about.
Here's my set-up. 55g with 2 55w (I need to double check this, I think they might be 65w) PC fluorescents, H.O.T. Magnum bio-wheel/canister filter, prizm skimmer, 2 duetto 60's for supplemental current until I get my sump, aquaclear 70 powerhead for more current, UV steilizer (forgot brand) 50 some odd pounds live sand, 30 lbs (for now) live rock along with another 30 or so lbs of base rock. Currently with 2 pajama cardinals and a reef cleaner package.
Sounds like quite a bit of current bruce, but you also have a huge tank. You're sitting at about 15 times per hour turnover, i'm looking at almost 23 times per hour. :thinking:

brucewrs

I always thought the more turn over the better.I just got back into this hobby from taking 10 years off.Alot has changed in 10 years.I like the fuge idea.That will be my next project...

jessecnc

The mushrooms and some zoos will do fine with that lighting but forget the arcos and probably the anemone as well. I say some zoos because I have 130W PC above my 29gal. (half the surface area of your 55) and unless my zoos are very high up in the tank they starve for light so be careful or at least be prepared.
23x turnover is probably a bit too much for the corals your thinking about. Somewhere around 15x or a little under should do the trick but read as much as you can before making a final decision.
Good luck!