Overstocked Tank??

thedocta

I have a couple questions about my 55 Gallon tank...Right now I have a dwarf lionfish, a small (about 6 inch) snowflake eel, a large scopas tang, a LMB, and 2 small yellowtail damsels. I also have about 20 pounds of live rock but when i get some money for my B-day im gonna add about 25 pounds more. Im also adding a protien skimmer in about a month. The LMB and damsels will be out of there as soon as my friend gets his tank set up so i don't have to worry abot them. I was wondering if it would be possible to add a small puffer and even maybe a hawkfish eventully. My only concern is overstocking my tank so if you have any suggestions please help me. I need quick answers because my LFS has both in stock which is a rare occurance!!!

moto757

got a 55 too and i would stick with just what you got all i have is a trigger an eel and a convict tang with about 40 lbs of live rock the bioload would get too much with the puffer given the eel and the lion are going to be messy with eatin sometimes

thedocta

What about the hawkfish?...once the LMB and damsels are out of there is there any way i could put any kind of hawkfish in there? Also I was wondering what kind of skimmer to put in there im not looking to spend more than about 50/75 dollors on one eaither used or new...If anyone has any suggestions or any skimmers for sale please tell me!!!!!!!

thedocta

Ok ill see if my LFS will take him...otherwise he will have to live for a little while longer in there. Its a 55 hex so he has a lot of verticle swimming space but not that much side to side.

flatzboy

Tangs don't do a lot of vertical swimming, the scopas tand needs at least a 6 ft. long tank to be happy IMO.

thedocta

OK ill get him outta there...he doesnt look so good anyways...he spent his time today drifting to the top breathing heavy and the swimming down quickly...no signs of Ick but he might have something so ill throw him in the Quarintine tank for now. I know its not the right place to ask this but if anyone knows whats wrong with him please tell me...thanks

flatzboy

It sounds lke he is very stressed out from being in to small of a tanks. Also check your amonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

thedocta

OK ill head to my LFS to get some water tests tommorow because my kit ran out. He also has been swimming rapidly around the tank in a circle then goin to the bottom to rest. Is there any possibility that he has been stung by his new tank mate the dwarf lionfish? Im doing a five gallon water change right now so maybe that will help. Hopefully he wasn't stung but that might be what has happened. :scared: