overweight kids.

E

eric b 125

i went on one of my lfs crawls and in between stores i stopped at the golden corral for a bite (i was famished). while at the restaurant, this lady brings in her 3 disgustingly overweight children, and flops down next to us. on one of their rounds at the buffet, she has (what appears to be) her youngest with her, and shovels onto her kid's plate, a mound of mashed potatos and asks the cook for "one of those chunks of meat wrapped in bacon"
. parents like this anger me to no end
. besides the OBVIOUS health risks, this poor girl will eventually be a teen, God willing her arteries hold up, and being so overweight can cause serious emotional distress. if you have a child who is grossly underweight, CYS can and will take the child from you. i think that if someone has a grossly overweight child, and isn't making any attempt at helping the child, then the powers that be should step in and intervene.

T

tizzo

Well, then be a power. Step up and intervene. Create a teaching or support system in your community.
I don't like seeing overweight kids either. But then again, I don't like seeing kids that chew with their mouths open, hold a utensil the "wrong" way, have no manners, argue with their folks, wear their pants to low or have dirty hair. Oh, let's face it, I just don't like kids.
But my point, is that your point is well taken. You find a way to be the intervening power.
Educate.

pezenfuego

Ah man, I agree completely. I went on a tubing outing with boyscouts a few days ago and these two kids got a box of ding dongs each to have for the 2 hour drive there. One of these kids broke down and started crying when we had to delay lunch by an hour. It's disgusting and totally wrong. I don't understand why parents do this. I know for sure that I won't give in to my kids when they want 7 snacks a day. It just seems like a very avoidable problem. All through school, these kids get made fun of to no end. Most of it comes from the eating habits of their parents. This is most commonly because of an outlet for emotional stress...which is dramatically increased as the kid gets made fun of for being fat. The best cure is prevention...and a little exercise never hurt anyone (that's not entirely true-injuries).

fatcat

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2949294
I don't like seeing overweight kids either. But then again, I don't like seeing kids that chew with their mouths open, hold a utensil the "wrong" way, have no manners, argue with their folks, wear their pants to low or have dirty hair. Oh, let's face it, I just don't like kids.
I'm 19 and agree with every thing you said.

stdreb27

yeah but think about all those nosey nuts, who would call cps about you starving your kids by telling them no.

miaheatlvr

Yo gotta see the GOLDEN CORAL in ORLANDO... WOW,, BIG BIG PEOPLE IN THERE!!
LIKE THE KLUMPS on steroids!

yearofthenick

I think the parents are the only ones to blame for their kids obesity. But if they have bad eating habits as parents, THAT ALSO needs to change in order to raise healthy kids.
What I have the hardest time with is how readily most parents are to give their kids fast food... much of it is artificial, with chemicals loaded in so it tastes the same in CA as it does in FL. When you eat fast food, you're subjecting yourself to a science project, and that can't be good for your body.
To give an example (I know, I'm such a hypoctire) I went to Carls Jr and got a Six Dollar Western Bacon Cheeseburger with criss cut fries. I haven't been able to keep anything down since and it's been nearly two days. It served as an eye-opener for me... I try to stay away from fast food, but this is it for me.

t316

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/2949300
Ah man, I agree completely. I went on a tubing outing with boyscouts a few days ago and these two kids got a box of ding dongs each to have for the 2 hour drive there. One of these kids broke down and started crying when we had to delay lunch by an hour. It's disgusting and totally wrong. I don't understand why parents do this. I know for sure that I won't give in to my kids when they want 7 snacks a day. It just seems like a very avoidable problem. All through school, these kids get made fun of to no end. Most of it comes from the eating habits of their parents. This is most commonly because of an outlet for emotional stress...which is dramatically increased as the kid gets made fun of for being fat. The best cure is prevention...and a little exercise never hurt anyone (that's not entirely true-injuries).
You are wise beyond your years my friend...

You have a lot to offer in the future, as your insight is already far beyond many of those older than you.

snakeblitz33

Lol, I grew up as an obese kid, even though my parents were "normal sized" and my brother was anorexic. lol! I grew out of it, but because of the stress of my daily life for the last two years, I have gained weight again. (Thankfully I have made the decision to loose weight to become healthier.)
I believe that when I have a family, I am going to buy the good foods and organize a family excersize routine, go out bike riding and play basketball as a family etc. etc. That would help a lot, especially in todays society.

makoshrk2

"Any behavior that is reinforced is more likely to occur again" Same thing I tell my dog training clients. Kids and dogs are not that much different when it comes to raising them

when i was a kid as soon as the mom fed you breakfast you were kicked out the door. we climbed trees and played kickball with the neighborhood kids. there was tv at nite after supper and on Sat morning the cartoons. kids now sit in front of a computer and video games all day. i remember there being 2 fat kids in the whole school. now overweight is the norm. ( i guess this will cut down on the teasing since they're all fat now) but it won't help with the health issues.

darthtang aw

I completely disagree, fat kids are needed. Without them TV shows such as "the Biggest Loser" are doomed to be cancelled. Besides, how many buffets are the keeping going right now in this horse crap of an economy we have. You would see, hometown/old country buffet, Golden Corral, and Furrs close their doors. Not to mention the chinese buffets.

hlcroghan

like Ellen said.......We do not need to eat "All We Can Eat".......we are not bears preparing for hibernation.....

alix2.0

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/2949904
I completely disagree, fat kids are needed. Without them TV shows such as "the Biggest Loser" are doomed to be cancelled. Besides, how many buffets are the keeping going right now in this horse crap of an economy we have. You would see, hometown/old country buffet, Golden Corral, and Furrs close their doors. Not to mention the chinese buffets.
+1. fat girls are wonderful. they make me feel better about myself.
thats mean.... but true.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2949554
Lol, I grew up as an obese kid, even though my parents were "normal sized" and my brother was anorexic. lol! I grew out of it, but because of the stress of my daily life for the last two years, I have gained weight again. (Thankfully I have made the decision to loose weight to become healthier.)
I believe that when I have a family, I am going to buy the good foods and organize a family excersize routine, go out bike riding and play basketball as a family etc. etc. That would help a lot, especially in todays society.

This was the opposite of me when I was growing up, I had two overweight sisters. I was nothing but a sack of bones. I swear they were stealing my food from me....They were so big though, I was so afraid.....

Now, I'm a plump 180lbs, 6 foot tall. They are both still obese, but I got a concealed carry permit...I eat what I want now....