Owwey

adairable

So I just found out that I have to get a root canal

How bad is it going to hurt? Tell me your story
I AM ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED!
The dentist gave me some antibiotics to start today and the BIG day is scheduled for next Tuesday....I'm going to cry like little baby, again

shogun323

Oh hell!!! That sucks. I think I need one. Just remember the pain is proportionate to the quality of the meds they give ya. If the meds don't quite numb all the pain, dont be afraid to supplement with a little tequila!
Here to help!
~Wade

bigarn

I've had more done than I can remember .... if the dentist knows his/her stuff they're not that bad at all. Don't cry and don't get worked up!

ophiura

Take the day off...if you can put it off, I would do it on a Friday and take the day off. It hurts basically depending on how bad the tooth is to start. I think most of the fear of root canals has to do with teeth that are badly infected. Also I think treatment has come along way.
It really was not bad in my case and I have a major fear of dentists. But I did sleep much of the rest of the day. Do not assume you will be going to work after.

adairable

Originally Posted by shogun323
Oh hell!!! That sucks. I think I need one. Just remember the pain is proportionate to the quality of the meds they give ya. If the meds don't quite numb all the pain, dont be afraid to supplement with a little tequila!
Here to help!
~Wade
Yea it does suck! I didn't think I needed one until I got a bump on my gum. The dentist informed me today that the "fistule" was full of ickey stuff. I was like great! Then he goes on to tell me that I have to take care of it immediatly before it spreads to the jaw and/or other teeth.
So the moral of the story is...if you think you need one get it checked out ASAP before it gets worse and spreads
I mean it is either really urgent or he really wants my money?

adairable

Originally Posted by bigarn
I've had more done than I can remember .... if the dentist knows his/her stuff they're not that bad at all. Don't cry and don't get worked up!

Well thats a relief. This guy doesn't seem to be a newbie and he seems up to date with his equipment.
And in the waiting room there was a huge SWF tank! Though it seemed poorly maintained

adairable

Originally Posted by ophiura
Take the day off...if you can put it off, I would do it on a Friday and take the day off. It hurts basically depending on how bad the tooth is to start. I think most of the fear of root canals has to do with teeth that are badly infected. Also I think treatment has come along way.
It really was not bad in my case and I have a major fear of dentists. But I did sleep much of the rest of the day. Do not assume you will be going to work after.
That is what I hear. Like I said above, I didn't know I needed one. I thought I'd me in a lot more pain.
I wish I could get the day off...the boss isn't haven't it. The appt is for 5 on Tuesday. He wanted to take care of it ASAP. And my boss said he has had one and there is no reason I can't work the next day. I kind of believe him, but at the same time I'm kind of a wimp. And like you I am so scared of the dentist. I haven't ate at all today because I have been so worked up about the initial appt. and now I have to get a root canal!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

adairable

Originally Posted by TX Reef
If it is infected, it needs to be taken care of ASAP....
I think it is definately infected...but strangely, it doesnt hurt. The dentist showed me the x-ray and there was blackness(infection) around the entire root(s). ANn he gave me antibiotics and told me to start them immediately.

shogun323

Originally Posted by Adairable
get it checked out ASAP before it gets worse and spreads
Kind of like herpes.......
I am definately overdue for a dentist appointment. I truly hate dentists!!

adairable

Originally Posted by TX Reef
Oh, and they don't hurt afterwards......but they take forever.
Well I guess the dentist will be pulling an all nighter then....I have the appt at 5 on tuesday

adairable

Originally Posted by shogun323
Kind of like herpes.......
I am definately overdue for a dentist appointment. I truly hate dentists!!
Yea you should get your herpes checked out ASAP but not by a dentist

shogun323

Originally Posted by Adairable
Yea you should get your herpes checked out ASAP but not by a dentist
(and for the record, I really don't have herpes)

adairable

That's the laughing gas that makes you high isn't it???
I used to get that at my old dentist if I had a cavity because the needle they stab you with to numb the tooth is gigantore!
I think he would just put the mask on me and let me play for a few minutes will he attended to other patients.

ophiura

Yeah, that helped me. But honestly...it took a long time but that was about it.
Your boss sucks though, to be honest.
I am much more understanding of my employee's root canals
I always tell them to arrange for the day off, and do it on a Friday. Everyone is different. Your reaction to pain, or the condition of your tooth may be very different. You can't truly generalize.
Are you in pain now?
My poor employee had a first root canal, and the pain never went away. Low and behold (and after what $500+) they said she needed another root canal on the tooth next to it. Yeah, makes you wonder....

shogun323

When I had my wisdom teeth out the used some anestesia (sp?) where they put me in twilight as they called it. I was so out of it that when I left the office I everyone thanked for the great job they did and that I loved them all!!

adairable

Originally Posted by ophiura
Yeah, that helped me. But honestly...it took a long time but that was about it.
Your boss sucks though, to be honest.
I am much more understanding of my employee's root canals
I always tell them to arrange for the day off, and do it on a Friday. Everyone is different. Your reaction to pain, or the condition of your tooth may be very different. You can't truly generalize.
Are you in pain now?
My poor employee had a first root canal, and the pain never went away. Low and behold (and after what $500+) they said she needed another root canal on the tooth next to it. Yeah, makes you wonder....
Yea my employer is a great guy and all, but like you said everyone deals with pain differently. He is a crazy ex football/lacross player and like 6'3" 350lbs of "guy" and he could probably deal with it the next day.
Me on the other hand....im a wimp and a half.
But to answer your question, no I'm not in any pain right now...is that weird? I just saw the bump and was like....I should go.
I will cry and so will my wallet if I have to get another root canal!!! Maybe I will strike a deal with them and maintain there amazingly large tank for free in return for dental care