Owwey

adairable

Originally Posted by ruaround
do like DragonZim said... hit the nitrous!!! i had a root canal done about a year ago... i watched sportcenter and inhaled through my nose... didnt feel a thing... although it did take about 2 hours... youll be fine... i was back to work the same day...
They let you just sit there with it on the whole time???! That would be spectacular

adairable

Originally Posted by trainfever
Just get it pulled. Girls from Manayunk dont have teeth anyway, or was that Kensington?

low blow....
I would say something, but I was born in WV and that is even worse for teeth

m0nk

Btw, that is a bummer about the root canal thing. My dentist at first said I'd need one too, then he couldn't figure out which tooth so he "prescribed" 4 ibuprofen every 6 hours and the pain eventually "lessened". Needless to say, once I have money to go to someone new I'll be doing just that (my dental insurance sucks).

adairable

So I am at the bank working right now....and I am talking to all my customers that I see everyday. And most, not all, have made me feel a little better about the procedure.
I did have one customer that said the dentist had to "kill" the nerve and told him to hold onto his chair real tight. He saiid his legs shot straight out in front of him....he tried to reassure me by saying the pain was gone instantly. I'm not buying into it

adairable

Originally Posted by m0nk
Btw, that is a bummer about the root canal thing. My dentist at first said I'd need one too, then he couldn't figure out which tooth so he "prescribed" 4 ibuprofen every 6 hours and the pain eventually "lessened". Needless to say, once I have money to go to someone new I'll be doing just that (my dental insurance sucks).
Yea so does mine...but atleast I have something. I think they only cover 80% of the root canal and I don't know how much of the crown. Either way I think I should start a collection jar

katiev

That sucks that your boss played it off that way. Males tend to handle the dental stuff much better than women. When I had my left wisdom teeth pulled, I layed in bed for a couple days and was so sore I didn't want to eat/drink anything. My fiance, on the otherhand, had all four pulled and was laughing and eating nachos the next day. You could probably get a written excusal from your dentist, if you really want to.

trainfever

Originally Posted by Adairable
my nerdy neighbor....what would I do with out you?
prolly go back ta Virginny.

renogaw

1993: i got assaulted and broke a bunch of bones in my face
2002: i had a root canal on my front left front tooth. The tooth was so small i ended up having almost no tooth left, and they had to put a rod up the root to keep everything in there. got a crown, and it is sweet. had nitrous oxide i believe.
2007: the root canal went bad. they didn't get all of the root out of the tooth, so they had to go in and get it out. they had to cut my gums off, drill through my jaw, scrape it out, and sew me back up. they wouldn't use nitrous, so it was 3 hrs on the table with novacaine that kept wearing off.
now that you know how bad they can be:
my coworker's 13 year old daughter just had a root canal on her back molar, and was in school that afternoon. they have changed so much in the past 5 years i guess.

adairable

Originally Posted by katiev
That sucks that your boss played it off that way. Males tend to handle the dental stuff much better than women. When I had my left wisdom teeth pulled, I layed in bed for a couple days and was so sore I didn't want to eat/drink anything. My fiance, on the otherhand, had all four pulled and was laughing and eating nachos the next day. You could probably get a written excusal from your dentist, if you really want to.
written excusal....I like your style! I def might use that one!!! But then I won't get to talk to you guys all day on here. Decisions, decisions

adairable

Originally Posted by katiev
and yea I totally agree with you about the guys handling it better than us gals. I was all laid up after my wisdom teeth and I got them out over a thanksgiving break...worst idea EVER

adairable

Originally Posted by renogaw
1993: i got assaulted and broke a bunch of bones in my face
2002: i had a root canal on my front left front tooth. The tooth was so small i ended up having almost no tooth left, and they had to put a rod up the root to keep everything in there. got a crown, and it is sweet. had nitrous oxide i believe.
2007: the root canal went bad. they didn't get all of the root out of the tooth, so they had to go in and get it out. they had to cut my gums off, drill through my jaw, scrape it out, and sew me back up. they wouldn't use nitrous, so it was 3 hrs on the table with novacaine that kept wearing off.
now that you know how bad they can be:
my coworker's 13 year old daughter just had a root canal on her back molar, and was in school that afternoon. they have changed so much in the past 5 years i guess.
First off....JESUS! They had to scrape your jaw??? Was the infection that bad? Do you not have a tooth there now or did they give you a fakey?
Yea, well kids are more resilent???? I don't know but you are probably right about them not being as bad as they used to be. But in 10 years they will say that about the one I am getting on Tuesday

1journeyman

Ask for gas so you won't feel the needle.
The needle should dull it.
You'll be fine. It really isn't bad. Wisdom tooth removal is far, far worse. If nothing else but because there are 4 of them.
Now, the infected root sounds bad. If oral surgery is involved you need to consult an oral surgeon. That's not a job for the average local dentist.

adairable

yea I don't know...I def have an infection though because I am on antibiotics. The place that I found is an "all-inclusive" dental center. They do it all. The Dr said the nerve in my molar was liquified and now there is just an infection. He said the tooth was dead. :(

adairable

and I told them before I went in the problem so the appt. they setup I think was with the surgeon yesterday...maybe??? I'm confused now...I hope he knows what he is doing.....

jovial

When I had a root canal I lost about a quart of blood during the proceedure and woke up with two black eyes. Now I hear voices in my head, shake violently when ever I hear a dremel tool and have a craving for spark plugs.
JK it's really not a big deal. You will be fine.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Adairable
and I told them before I went in the problem so the appt. they setup I think was with the surgeon yesterday...maybe??? I'm confused now...I hope he knows what he is doing.....
Call and ask... you are the patient and it's your mouth. You have a right to be well informed. Also tell them your concerns about pain during the procedure and ask what options you have. Also ask exactly what they are going to do.
A root canal removes the nerve and deadens it, so sounds like you are ahead of the game

After you are done with your procedure (which will go fine, I'm sure) remind me to tell you my story. I'll give you a hint... at one point the dentist said "oh, there's the problem..."