Owwey

renogaw

Originally Posted by Adairable
I embrace my womanly wimpish nature and I am in no way prepared to deal with any pain greater than stubbing my toe.
you're in trouble when you start a family...

bigarn

nerd

I have a great come back for ya .... but lucky for you I lost my voice!

1journeyman

Originally Posted by renogaw
ya... the whole men are tougher than women thing goes right out the window when you remember who it is that have babies...

tahoetanks

Ok, I will offer some not so commonly known medication advice. Tell the dentist that you have a very low pain tolerance. If whatever they give you is helping but not quite enough, you can take 2 Benadryl. It enhances the block on the pain receptors. I tell our patients this all of the time and they swear by it. So do I as a matter of fact.
Having a procedure done on a Friday is a good idea-so you don't have to work. BUT, make sure that your doc will be available on the weekend if a problem comes up or that one of his or her partners is on call so that you can get answers to questions or help with problems.
The other perc to benadryl, is that it will help you sleep as well.
Good luck.

fishkiller

9 root canals= bad genetics + braces for 3.5 yrs + never flossing. No, it's not bad if you do 1 at a time... I did 3 root canals in one visit... Bad idea! 4 hours of drilling, twisting, pulling, scraping, and choking on blood with frequent breaks of novacaine (sp?) shots in the roof of the mouth and gums given with a board marker of a needle. Let me tell you- the taste of it is almost worse than the needle... almost...

adairable

Originally Posted by renogaw
im not having kids...unless they can be bought at the LFS

adairable

Originally Posted by tahoetanks
Ok, I will offer some not so commonly known medication advice. Tell the dentist that you have a very low pain tolerance. If whatever they give you is helping but not quite enough, you can take 2 Benadryl. It enhances the block on the pain receptors. I tell our patients this all of the time and they swear by it. So do I as a matter of fact.
Having a procedure done on a Friday is a good idea-so you don't have to work. BUT, make sure that your doc will be available on the weekend if a problem comes up or that one of his or her partners is on call so that you can get answers to questions or help with problems.
The other perc to benadryl, is that it will help you sleep as well.
Good luck.
I am so mad I didn't read this quote before the procedure!!!!
Luckily, I will get to use this for the next appt.!!!!

adairable

Originally Posted by fishkiller
9 root canals= bad genetics + braces for 3.5 yrs + never flossing. No, it's not bad if you do 1 at a time... I did 3 root canals in one visit... Bad idea! 4 hours of drilling, twisting, pulling, scraping, and choking on blood with frequent breaks of novacaine (sp?) shots in the roof of the mouth and gums given with a board marker of a needle. Let me tell you- the taste of it is almost worse than the needle... almost...

owwey!

adairable

I survived.... the dentist/endodontist(??) was awesome. He didn't give me laughing gas but oh well.
So when I went in the first thing he did was talk to me about how routine the procedure was. He said it was actually the most boring procedure he does. He showed me how he had already done 3 that day. Two were emergencies. Then he told me the worst part was the needle of novocaine. He said it would feel like a pinch. He insisted on me watching the whole thing with a hand mirror. Then he made me hold the needle, just in the air.
I had to wait awhile for my mouth to numb and the whole time the assistant talked to me and told me that the worst part was over and made sure I had taken my antibiotics. Then the Dr came back and took out the filling and then started to insert what looked like sewing needs into my tooth. He did that for awhile and then took a x-ray. All the while they kept putting this stuff in my tooth that smelled like bleach. They said it was to clean it but they didn't tell me what it was.
So the dentist looked at the x-ray and then went to town on my tooth. It was a back molar so it had more than one root so it took about an hour and a half. All the time he was insert the needles and screwing them in and pulling them out. Then he packed it with some cottony stuff with some medication on it. Now I have a temporary filling until July 9th. Then he said I have to get it cleaned more and hopefully the infection will be gone.

adairable

It really did help me that he made me face my fears. If I closed my eyes he would ask me to open them and watch. ANd holding the nedle really calmed me down a bit. The watching in the mirror thing was really intersting too. I would recommend it to anyone who is scared or bored. The Dr made me feel so at ease and talked to me the whole time. The desk ladies told me that he is very god at helpong people overcome their fears and that that is why he is booked all of the time!

adairable

Originally Posted by shogun323
So does this mean there was no crying in the fetal positon?
well their were a few tears in the befinning....but no crying and def no fetal position

adairable

my jaw hurts like no other today though....they called this morning and checked up on me. Told me not to take more that the recommended amount of aleve. It was nice to hear from them

1journeyman

It really did help me that he made me face my fears....
You're braver than I am. I want gas, the shot, and a blindfold.... just let me sleep while you do whatever the heck you need to do to make me feel better. You're the dentist, don't try to teach me to be one. That's my take on it.
Now for my long promised story...
Several years ago my goofy dog threw his head up when we were playing and smashed my top front tooth. It cracked vertically from top to bottom. So, after a few months, root canal time.
So I get the shot to deaden it. Dentist tells me, "if you feel any pain let me know by raising your hand". Now, I've been to this dentist sense I was 6 (have small mouth. Dentist pulled all of my baby teeth at various times to allow adult teeth to come in normally... he and I are old buds...) so the dentist knew me and knows I don't fake. He touches the tooth and my hand goes up.. he gives me another shot and waits.. then he comes at the tooth again. In a few minutes my hand goes up... (repeat 3-4 more times)
So the dentist is stumped... he says "I can't figure out why he is still feeling pain to his assistant". He gets out his little mirror and hook and starts playing around in the tooth. Then he says "oh... there's the problem" and I feel a stab of pain, then nothing. He pulls the hook up to me and on it is this little stringy thing. He says "see, there was still a helathy nerve there we hadn't gotten. Should be better now". I nearly lost it... Don't pull a nerve ending out of my jaw and show it to me... just fix it and move on, hehe.

trainfever

my jaw hurts like no other today though....they called this morning and checked up on me. Told me not to take more that the recommended amount of aleve. It was nice to hear from them

I figured thats why you werent posting on here, all drugged up on pain killers and too incoherent to post.
I guess I owe you some Xenia huh?

adairable

yes and yes!!!!
I really want to set up a refugium too so maybe I could get some macro from you too....
Back to the pain meds...they didn't give me any!!!!
just aleve

trainfever

not a problem, if you post a pic of the extra power filters that you have, I can tell you which would be good to use as a mini refugium.