oxygenating with H202

stdreb27

I've been reading that you can dose your tank with hydrogen peroxide to oxygenate the water in dire situations. Has anyone ever done this? And what in the water breaks down the H202?

nigerbang

Originally Posted by stdreb27
I've been reading that you can dose your tank with hydrogen peroxide to oxygenate the water in dire situations. Has anyone ever done this? And what in the water breaks down the H202?

Wow...never heard that..The way that stuff foams up on cuts..I dont think I would pour it in my dt..

jerthunter

H2O2 naturally breaks down into water and oxygen on its own, but I wouldn't want to put it in my tank. It can burn skin if it is too strong so I imagine it could hurt fish and corals if it was added to fast.

badboyj

Originally Posted by stdreb27

where did you read that ???

stdreb27

I live in houston, I was on a website for a lfs. And they had a hurricane prep for your fish tank. This was an option they proposed in a long term power outage. There was plenty of CYA involved in the instructions and only and absolutely only like you already have dead fish in the tank and all other options are depleted. I'd never heard of it, it makes sense actually. In the amounts they said to use, I think a drop every ten gallons.

ophiura

Yup, people have used it...but it is definitely not something I would turn to first (generator
followed by battery powered pumps). But I would give it a go if I had to do it for sure.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by ophiura
Yup, people have used it...but it is definitely not something I would turn to first (generator
followed by battery powered pumps). But I would give it a go if I had to do it for sure.
That lfs the one with the wall tank and the big waterfall with kio in it. Said also said that the gallon of water pouring into your tank thing would diminish in marginal utility after so long. why would it?

f14peter

Read an article in a fish-keeping magazine about a facility that had some tanks and their efforts to maintain them during a power outage.
One method was to rig a redumentary two-prop attachment on a rod, which was then chucked into a battery powered hand drill, and the water aggitated periodically.
Another was to put a hose into the tank with the other end hooked to a manual tire pump, although this proved to wear out the pumpers pretty quick.
They did something else involving a bicycle on a stand allowing it to be peddled stationarily, but I don't remember the particulars.