ozone users

T

thomas712

Shot Bob Fenner the question about ozone and its affects on plankton.
Said that he pretty much had no conclusive evidence about it other than at higher levels it would become more toxic to the plankton, inverts and fish.
He suggests a redox value of 300 or so. Mine is set for about 350.
Thomas

cincyreefer

Thanks for all the great info... I might look into getting it setup. Once again Thomas, please keep us posted on how your tank progresses after using ozone.

bubbacat

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Ozone is great for converting Urea to Ammonia and killing Plankton.
If that's your goal then definately use it.
For a true reef tank you need the plankton to feed the zooplankton that corals & filter feeders eat more than you need to remove organics from the water.
You have no idea what you are talking about!

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by bubbacat
You have no idea what you are talking about!
So instead of just insulting and running why don't you join the conversation with relevant data. Give your opinion, but don't just snipe and run.
Thomas

ophiura

My comments on ozone come from experience with larger set ups. Primarily remember that it CAN kill all your fish (learn to recognize these symptoms quickly) and it can be a serious issue for your own health. I have seen it wipe out a lot of fish,fast, and I have seen the running around when a generator is on the fritz.
It is one of the few additions to a tank - apart from the risk of an electrical fire - that can really cause harm to the hobbyist. These are additional points to consider if you intend to use ozone.
Never, ever, skimp on ozone related equipment, be sure you monitor and understand your numbers, and really really, IMO, assess what you hope to gain from it before bringing it in the home. Learn to recognize the smell...and in general I would say you shouldn't smell it. Learn to treat ozone poisoning with your fish.
And way to bring up an old thread

I personally run ozone not for the benefits of killing to much to list. I run ozone for crystal clear water to maximize light penatraion. You have to be carefull when running ozone, make sure you do not have any ozone escaping back into your system. If you run ozone into a protien skimmer like most people do, have carbon on the exit gate valve returning to your sump.