Ozonizers?

clownfish

It seems like many people are hung up on big old UV sterilizers. Why? Ozonizers are very compact and very powerful. With UV, the bulb's output begins to decrease immediately.
Ozone is an extremely powerful gas. It not only kills bacteria and parasites like UV does but also oxidizes pollutants and "purifies" the water. It also increases the effectiveness of skimmers. I don't plan to use ozone initially when I set up my 55, but when it becomes a reef, I may purchase a little 25 mg/hr ozonizer at a LFS for only 50 bucks. Only a small air pump would be needed. I would use activated carbon too.

reptilicus

Hi,
I've got an ozone, it works very well. It is not running at the moment though. They help control algae blooms and give crystal clear water as well as helping prevent the transfer of diseases like ick. It also helps the ORP of the water. However, ozone is a deadly gas, and I only use it occasionally. Mine looks like a little air pump, which is basically what it is but instead of pumping air it pumps ozone. I also have carbon in the top of my skimmer to prevent the foul smell from getting out. The problem is that if there are any screw ups whatsoever, you can lose all your stock in a very short time, things like Acropora can be dead and entirely bleached within seconds of the ozone entering the tank. Still, if used properly the seem to be very beneficial.
Regards,
Tom

phliguy

How is the best way to introduce ozone into the tank?
I'm letting mine be sucked in with the
air going into the skimmer,.... is this ok?
Phil

reptilicus

Hi,
that's how I did mine too. Also, it's a good idea to put some carbon in the top of the skimmer if you can to make sure the ozone doesn't stink.
Regards,
Tom