P. Volitan Compatibility

qfish

Has anyone successfully kept P. Volitan Lion and Hermit Crabs?

I'm planning a 90g single Lion only tank with a leather coral of some type. Perhaps toadstool, and I'd like to keep some blue legged and electric blue banded hermits. I'm thinking blue knuckles (electronic ) would probably be better since they get 2" vs 1" like the blue bandeds.

Im pretty well familiar with lion characteristics and profile and my research suggests they'd be compatible as hermits and lions usually do well together. But I wondered if anyone experienced either of these with P. Volitan firsthand?

Last edited:

qfish

Nice... what size aquarium, and are other fish in with the lion? I desire a Volitan only 90g with maybe 5 blue legged hermits (about .75') and 5-6 electronic blue banded hermits (about 2-3').
Blue movement along bottom with lion is my setup vision. Im glad to hear someone with hermit/lion setup working.

trigger40

its a 90g. there is a bursa trigger in there with it along with a gray snapper and snowflake eel. the lion fish eats a lot so be ready for that.

qfish

Nice setup. Im surprised your trigger hasn't made your hermits a snack! Any thoughts about the Russell's lionfish ? Ever kept one of those? They're a nice looking fish as well?

qfish

Smaller than volitan. Up to 8-10' max. Usually no spots on cadual fin, redder/brown stripes spaced further apart and no pattern under neck/mandible like Volitan. Pectoral fins appear more webbed in comparison to Volitan. Id still recommend 90 or higher but in a single fish aquarium they'd do fine in a75. I havent descided which im getting. Check them out online.

trigger40

id say go with either one. both will work. lion fish arent very active. they just sit around and wait for food.

qfish

Does your lion spend a lot of time in open water? V.'s usually do, especially those that were hand fed (something id never do, except with very long tweezer?.

trigger40

he likes to hang out in the are with the most curent and hover there. lol yes i would never hand feed a lion fish either. but i am working on getting it to eat from tweezer. if the lion is not sitting around he is hunting along the live rock for a feeder shrimp. its fun to watch.

qfish

Black 90g with Canopy
Marineland C360 Canister
Sand Bottom
Live Rock Centerpiece
1 Leather Coral Centerpiece (Probably Brown Toadstool )
1 Volitan or Russell's Lion (Still Deciding)
5 Blue Legged Hermits
6 Electric Blue Knuckle Hermits

A simple setup. My display is being put together based on color. Ive chosen blue crabs e.g. for a spread of constant blue activity across tank bottom, a perfect contrast for the browns of sand, rocks and lion in a black tank display.

Last edited:

qfish

Thanks!

I've kept fresh and saltwaters aquariums for years. Its just been years since I've had one set up. My gears are still oiled and I miss he hobby so since I've always wanted a lion display thought I'd make it my first come back.

Timimg is purely financial. I hope i can find used 90 w/canopy setup on Craigslist for less. Else im looking at a much more costly setup. Hope I'm started between January and March.

trigger40

lol i understand how much these things cost. lucky for me i found a 100 gallon with oak stand and led lighting for $600!

Just be patient the deal will come.

qfish

Lol thanks trigger. Youre right.

Boy, That was a great deal! Lucky you, share the luck. Got photo?