P04 and silicates

col

Are Phosphates and silicates the same. If i remove Phosphates using Rowaphos am I removing Silicates also?
My LFS has RO/DI water, but when I tested it Phosphates were 1.0 . What else could be leaking thru if phosphates are at 1?

barracuda

Phosphates and Silicates are not the same. they are 2 different elements, but both responsible for unwanted microalgae and cyanobacteria blooms. For removing silicates, phosphates should be removed first.
RO/DI wate with 1.0ppm phoshates??? Don't even think to buy this kind of water. This water will mess your tank.

fbihunter

I agree with Barracuda. If you water contains any phospates consider getting from another source.
If this is not a option then consider purchaseing a phospate/silica remover sponge or media.
I know that seachem make this (as do others ) but this seems to be the more readily available at LFS.

col

Thanx for info
I didn't want to buy from LFS because of the levels.
I was thinking of RO unit but I only need 5G every 2 weeks or so. It looks like you cannot turn them off for more than 2 - 3 days without damaging membrane.
So, what I have been doing is using Rowaphos to get tap water down before adding to tank. I was wondering about how to remove silicates at same time.
Po4 in my FO tank is currently .25

barracuda

hi again,
don't forget that tap water contains not only phosphates and silicates. There are a lot of bad "stuff" in there. Like nitrates, heavy metals, etc. As well tap water is very hard. probably harder than it should be in the tank. Of course, tap water parameters are vary from city to city, state to state.
If i was you, i would considering to buy RO unit, maybe small one. Like i have Kent Marine's bare Bones 20. It's 20 GPD unit.

col

Baracuda
I know what you mean about tapwater, but I'm stuck on what to do.
I only need 5G per 2 weeks, so what do I do with the rest of the RO water - just throw it away? 20 GPD = 280G per 2 weeks - I only need 5G.

jim672

col,
Aquarium Pharmacuticals sells a portable unit that I bought. The unit runs $30 to $40 depending on where you get it. The media refills will DI around 50 to 100 gallons of water and cost between $15 and $20 to replace.
I use about 5 gallons a week and this one is good for me.
Jim

barracuda

Originally posted by col
Baracuda
I know what you mean about tapwater, but I'm stuck on what to do.
I only need 5G per 2 weeks, so what do I do with the rest of the RO water - just throw it away? 20 GPD = 280G per 2 weeks - I only need 5G.

20gpd doesn't mean that unit should remain On all the time. You turn on when you want water and after you've done just turn it OFF.

col

Is it ok to turn it off. I have read the instructions for the Purity on Tap units and they say not to exceed 2- 3 days (turning it off).

reef fool

Originally posted by col
Are Phosphates and silicates the same. If i remove Phosphates using Rowaphos am I removing Silicates also?

Rowaphos removes Phosphate, silicates and arsenic. I have used it for phosphates and it works well.

dindi

Well you are all wrong, I have the same prob, checked my phophates and slicates with my water BEFORE I used it zero on both, the same high readings in my 2 year old tank, too many phospates but zero silicates, well that means too much food for your tank, more than it can process so I'm told on this site:eek:

col

Bas - I live in England, nowhere sells it and I can't hump it from LFS.
Dindi - Please don't hijack my post telling people they are wrong (when they are not wrong and trying to help).
Also, do you have a silicates test kit - I've never seen one.

dindi

Col,
Sorry...I use the salifert test kit for Silicates. I always check my water before I use it since i buy it from my LFS. I use distilled water when i can't get to the LFS and it always tests clean. (so far)