Pagoda Cup turning brown...

purity

i've noticed that they're always turning brown at the LFS. so naturally i go out and get one- it's turning brown.
anyone know why they decide to do this?
here's his conditions:
-60 gallon tank
-two 175 watt metal halide pendant lights
-medium water flow
-placed in light but not getting toooooo directly beamed

dburr

Hmmm, I have mine i them same condition. 2 years now. It's just about on the sand.
How long have you had it? Got a pic? Water quality results?

purity

i accidently dropped my digital camera in the toilet last week so pics aren't an option right now.
i do water changes every 1.5 weeks usually. the conditions have always been pretty decent. about several months ago there was a little hike up in nitrates but that's been regulating down pretty good recently.

dburr

i accidently dropped my digital camera in the toilet last week so pics aren't an option right now.
What were you trying to take a picture of....never mind I don't wanna know.:hilarious
Is it off the sand bed? Is it dying or just turning brown?

purity

naw he's on a rock. i've never really seen em on sandbeds before.
not really sure if he's dying or not. that's what i'm trying to find out. is this a phase that they normally go through? is he unhealthy? do i have to kill someone? does my cup just suck?

purity

awesome coral waterfaller!!
my lights are brand new. just got em a couple months ago. plus, two 175 watt MH are pretty intense for just 60 gallons....well from what i've heard at least.

beachbumtx

Originally posted by Purity
awesome coral waterfaller!!
my lights are brand new. just got em a couple months ago. plus, two 175 watt MH are pretty intense for just 60 gallons....well from what i've heard at least.

Are the bulbs under 10,000K? 10,000K? 20,000K?

R

royalshrimp

Originally posted by Kip4130
yeah 5500ks are inadequate for a reef
cups.... man... i really miss mine :(
Picture

what happened to youre cup??? heater malfunction??? fish nipping??????:notsure:

beachbumtx

5,500K each

Hiya!,
As Kip mentioned, those will not cut it. Most corals will appear brown if their lighting is not sufficent. Either low wattage or wrong Kelvin temperature. Try to acquire some bulbs in the 10,000K to 20,000K range and your corals will fair much better.

purity

what's funny is that when i went to the hamilton lighting company website to find out how much K my lights had, i discovered that the LFS sold me these for $100 more each....which wouldn't really piss me off had they not lied and told me that, since i buy so much stuff there, they would hook me up with the wholesale pricing.
now to find out that these $550 lights are STILL inadequate, plus THREE appraisals all came in short today....
ok someone's gonna die. help me out here kip. who should i kill?

beachbumtx

what's funny is that when i went to the hamilton lighting company website to find out how much K my lights had, i discovered that the LFS sold me these for $100 more each....which wouldn't really piss me off had they not lied and told me that, since i buy so much stuff there, they would hook me up with the wholesale pricing.
now to find out that these $550 lights are STILL inadequate, plus THREE appraisals all came in short today....
ok someone's gonna die. help me out here kip. who should i kill?

:scared: Going postal! Know the feeling

purity

yeah. i should first go after all the people who drink decaf cause they're worthless anywayz.
then after warming up with them, it's off to enjoy some productive quality time with the huntington beach lfs