painting inside of canopy as reflector

ross

I am building my canopy right now and have heard that you can paint the inside of it white instead of buying a reflector. Has anyone ever done this? Should i paint it flat white or glossy?

zanemoseley

I think you should paint it white in addition to having a reflector, I'd say use gloss white but I'm not sure which, I'd kinda like to know what other people use because I'm also in the process of building an oak canopy

tdelinski

When i did mine I used flashing from HD to build the reflector. It has worked out very well for me. The flashing is usually in the roofing section of the store, and can be purchased in different widths. I polished mine after i installed it, and it made a vast improvment over the original install without it.
Good Luck
Tom

I used an ultra high gloss white latex paint (behr was the brand name, I think) that is suitable for outdoor use. I do not have an additional reflector in my tank at all (2x75w URI VHO) but the bulbs have reflectors built in.
My tank is far brighter than a friend with the same lighting who did not paint the inside of his tank and went with reflectors.
However this only really applies to flourescent bulbs. HID lighting, reflectors are absolute.

fishfreek

TDelinski, i used the same flashing from HD that you are using. What did you use to polish it with and how did you polish it??
thanks,

I used silicone to attach 1x1' square mirror tiles to the canopy- works pretty good. Plus the fish get that sexy "mirrors on the ceiling" effect that my wife forbids me to explore.

Originally posted by rangermonroe
I used silicone to attach 1x1' square mirror tiles to the canopy- works pretty good. Plus the fish get that sexy "mirrors on the ceiling" effect that my wife forbids me to explore.

What kind of lighting do you have? Flourescent or HID?