Painting new tank

ctkecth

I have a new 90 gallon on the way- I want to paint the back- what kind of paint should I use- Blue I assume would be the best color, what shade?

indymatt

I used Patriotic Blue Krylon Fusion Paint from Walmart. It is speficially made for glass/plastic. Be prepared to paint forever, I have about 5 coats on my 55 which was an entire can and just bought another can to put another 5 coats on. Reason being is that light can shine through the paint on the back giving it a blotchy look.

biggredd

I tried going spray paint, it did take forever. Was using oil based paint for my stand, used it for my glass. Went on quick and thick.

jamie814

Stay away from spray paint for the back of a tank it is much easier to roll on. Takes a few coats still but much more even coverage. look for a flat or satin ACRYLIC BASED paint it's the safest to use around a tank and easy to apply. Gloss paint only makes the back look more shiny and reflective which you want to avoid. I prefer black over the dark blue especially if you have a black internal overflow like I do. Using a blue paint will only make it stand out more. Here is a pic of my 4 month old 90 all glass reef ready tank. Enjoy ***) and good luck :happyfish The back will be coverd with coraline in time also.
just ignor the powerhead that has seem to fallen off the back. Closed loop going in this weekend and good by to the ugly powerheads

ctkecth

Thanks. Best answer to any question I have posted here- although I understand it is just about paint!

hot883

Originally Posted by ctkecth
I have a new 90 gallon on the way- I want to paint the back- what kind of paint should I use- Blue I assume would be the best color, what shade?
When I remodled my office (where my 125 gallon is) I used a blue color on the wall behind the fish tank. I then used the same paint on the back glass of the tank so you look at the tank and it blends in very well with the wall. I used a brush and 2 coats. My blue shade is "Harbor Mist".

slick

Originally Posted by hot883
When I remodled my office (where my 125 gallon is) I used a blue color on the wall behind the fish tank. I then used the same paint on the back glass of the tank so you look at the tank and it blends in very well with the wall. I used a brush and 2 coats. My blue shade is "Harbor Mist".
Thats a really good idea. Don't think I have ever seen this before. Looks good.

chipmaker

Color is really all a personal choice. Lots of folks like Black. I have seen some a mottled black, blue and purple look and it too looked good. As for paint type use what ever is chepaest or most readily available. Regular water based latex paint is sufficient as is oil or lac. Brand or type is not important, nor is how it is applied, brush, roller spray etc, nor is flat, semi or gloss, although gloss is better if you spill saltwater on the outside at all it is easier to keep clean, but it all looks glossy from inside due to the glass.....Just beaware if the tank is acrylic, oi or lac based paints may start a premature crazing effect, and Fission / Fusion paint by Krylon is NOT recomended fo ruse on acrylic plastics.......nor is any paint really suitable for glasss overall or at least none thats sold in big box stores, as real truye glass paint is either baked on or has an etchant in the paint which is pretty well a haz mat item.......(hydroflouric acid IIRC) but fortunately most paints work just fine on glass for this purpose anyhow. My choice is usually flat or semi flat latex paint, applied by small roller.

blazehok68

i used a marine quality epoxy based spray paint. stuck to the glass real good, just had to put it on in very thin coats. i used 3 cans for my 120. the only problem i found was after painting for a while, the sprayer got a little clogged and started "spitting" at the tank and i ended up getting a couple of drip marks, but they arent really noticeable on the inside of the tank.

fighting0

I didn't even use paint at all.
Black fabric is stretched from the top to the bottom of my tank, held on by velcro.
If I want to remove it and wash it, no sweat. I don't have to worry about paint chipping in a move, etc.

hot883

Originally Posted by drf0524
Does the back of the tank really need to be painted? If so why? :notsure:
No it does not. Just prevents you from seeing the wires and cords etc.

chipmaker

A lot of talk has gone on in regards to mirrowed backs of tanks. Lots of pro and lots of con opinions. Just the other day I seen some company whose name I forget, is now making tanks with the backwall mirrowed........For some reason i just do not think I would like a mirrowed back wall on a tank....

tankslave

Go to a sign shop and ask for vinyl. I work at a sign company and put blue on the back of my tank. Only takes a few minutes and if you want to change colors you just peel it off. It also comes in semi translucent and translucent.

jamie814

Originally Posted by chipmaker
A lot of talk has gone on in regards to mirrowed backs of tanks. Lots of pro and lots of con opinions. Just the other day I seen some company whose name I forget, is now making tanks with the backwall mirrowed........For some reason i just do not think I would like a mirrowed back wall on a tank....
It is not a good idea to put a mirror on the back. Many fish fight with their own kind and a mirror will stress them out.

dingo0722

I used black contact paper, the same stuff for your draws and cabinets. Use a plastic body filler spreader to attach it with out any air bubbles. If you have a seam, put it on the low side. I let algae grow on my back wall, and it gives a natural look

tankslave

Vinyl is same idea as Dingo and you can get it in widths of 15" 30" 48". If you tell them what you want it for unless they are just mean sign people they may give it to you. If not it should not be real expensive. Also tip for applying if you've never done it....get a spray bottle of water add drop or 2 of dish soap mist glass lightly this gives you a little leeway.
If dry once it sticks it's there, if moist you can sorta slide the wrinkles and bubble out
Comes in lots of colors too. If you choose this they would probably show you how to appy.
If you are picking up locally you could just swing by on way home with tank and have them apply. Only takes about 5 minutes if you do it a lot and they won't leave wrinkles or bubbles