Pairing 2 True Percula Clowns?

mrangel

Well, I went looking for another true percula clown, it was hard for some reason not a lot of LFS have true percula's right now. I found one store that had 2. One was larger than the other, but he wasn't very active and didn't eat. I also saw something on top of his head that could just be discoloration or maybe he bumped up against something.
There was a smaller one that is probably the same size as the one I have. This one was more active and had a good appetite.
I went back and forth and I decided to go with the small one.
I had him in a seperate container getting him acclimated to the water for about an hour. I turned off the lights to my main tank and put him in and let the lights off for about another hour. My Tang quickly went over and smelled him. My other clown went on top of the tank and went to sleep. When I turned the lights on, my little clown came down and went to the same place he used to go with the other clown.
When he realized there was another clown, he immediately went over and they started swimming together. There was an instance when one my clowns nipped at my other clowns tail, but that was just for a brief second. They would swim apart and then they would swim together. We watched them from a far for about 4 hours and they seemed happy.
When I turned off the lights they both ended up sleeping on top of the tank together.
In the morning when the lights went on they went to their rock and they were together.
we are still keeping a close eye on them. The good thing is they both ate really well this morning. My old little clown hardly ate yesterday, he would just stay in the same place.
What else should I look for? When will I know that they are a pair. My only concern is that they are both close to the same size?
Any advice would be appreciated,
Marguerite

aftrhrs

Any pictures by chance? As long as they are not nipping each other it's a good sign. Can you visually see a difference in size?
I have two clowns myself and they were paired at the LFS before I bought them.

mrangel

Well, I saw them once nip at the tail, for just a second. They kind of went at it another time, but after that they seemed to be doing fine.
I don't really notice much difference. I will have some pictures tonight and I'll put them up.
Marguerite

P

puffygrrl

I was just about to post the same questions. I just added a true Perc for my little buddy Freddy last night - the new guy is a tad smaller so I am happy about that. They do what Marguerite's do, swim together and apart, but I have had no nipping so far. The smaller one is definitely the submissive in the relationship.
Same question though...how do you know when they have "paired"?
Thanks!

ocellaris_keeper

Keep a close eye but it sounds like you lucked out. the right approach is to add amore than 1 new addition with the understanding that you will have to take someone back to the LPS.
Congrats - I have had many mated pairs of clowns (hence the name ocellaris) and I've only been lucky like you seem to be once.

P

puffygrrl

ocellaris_keeper: So does that sound like both Marguerite and I's Perc's have paired in your expert opinion?

mrangel

Well, my little clowns seem to be doing well. They seperate when I'm around, but when I'm not looking they are together.
Here are some pics of my babies.

mrangel

I couldn't resist, here is my little tang!! It's hard to believe when I first got him, he had a sunken stomach and lateral line erosion. Now he's my pot belly tang.

P

puffygrrl

HA HA HA! We were taking pics of our clowns tonight too! Our camera ran out of battery though so we can DL till tomorrow :( I'll post them then...

mrangel

That happened to me too. :)
It's fun taking pictures of your babies. I hope the fish don't get frightened.
Marguerite