pairing clownfish

cotigostar

hey i was hoping to get a pair of clownfish and maybe breed them? Is it better to get a mated pair or just get 2 and let them mate? If i get 2 should i get one and let it grow and then add a friend? that way one is clearly bigger and will be dominant? last thing, can two clownfish that arent the same color mate? false perc & black perc?

brad pitt

Originally Posted by cotigostar
http:///forum/post/2578126
hey i was hoping to get a pair of clownfish and maybe breed them? Is it better to get a mated pair or just get 2 and let them mate? If i get 2 should i get one and let it grow and then add a friend? that way one is clearly bigger and will be dominant? last thing, can two clownfish that arent the same color mate? false perc & black perc?
well it is better to get mated pair but it is much more expensive. If u want to mate 2 clowns then go somewhere that has a tank full of clownfish (any kind u like) then look really well to see a very mean and tough looking one. this will be the only female in that whole tank. then get one that always followed it and annoyed it. those 2 will become a mated pair. this goes with all sort of clowns (of the same sort)
and yes u can mate a black and white one with an orange one. they come out very beautiful and very expensive.

dawman

You can mate an orange and white Ocellaris [false perc] with a black and white Ocellaris .

robdog696

There are two things you should keep in mind when purchasing a mated pair...
1. Finding a "pair" for sale is very common. Finding a "mated pair" is next to impossible. Clownfish will pair up easy enough, but it can be years until they start spawning. People do not generally sell their clownfish if they are spawning.
2. Buying a "pair" online is expensive and risky. If one should perish then you are left with a $200 clownfish. LOL!
I was lucky enough that my LFS let me return each fish the next day if mine did not like it until I found a match. I still have my fingers crossed, however, as the one he chose is not eating. :(

dawman

Originally Posted by Robdog696
http:///forum/post/2580187
There are two things you should keep in mind when purchasing a mated pair...
1. Finding a "pair" for sale is very common. Finding a "mated pair" is next to impossible. Clownfish will pair up easy enough, but it can be years until they start spawning. People do not generally sell their clownfish if they are spawning.
2. Buying a "pair" online is expensive and risky. If one should perish then you are left with a $200 clownfish. LOL!
I was lucky enough that my LFS let me return each fish the next day if mine did not like it until I found a match. I still have my fingers crossed, however, as the one he chose is not eating. :(
Actually I am selling my mating pairs [several different species] . Don`t want to but don`t have time anymore to raise the fry , need to downsize my fish room , and in a situation that I need $ .