Panda Goby

shaunalynna

Has anyone ever had one of these? How hardy of a fish is it? I know you need an established tank as well. I am working on setting my 14gal up and eventually would love to have one as I fell in love. Just wanting to get opinions on what people think about the fish if you have owned one.

jaymz

I have not ever kept one or seen one in person, but they are definalty sweet looking little fish!! i would google them and see what you can find out. I would if i had the chance to get one.

teresaq

from what I have heard, they live in a certian coral and need it to thrive.

found this on line
The Panda Clown Goby is usually found among the branches of pocillopora coral colonies. They are a small stocky shaped fish with a very large head for their size. There are many different color variations of clown gobies, and this species is black, white and yellow. They are a peaceful fish that makes a wonderful addition to a reef aquarium containing colonies of polyp corals, as they enjoy swimming and hiding amongst the polyps. However, they may nip at the polyps of SPS corals.
It requires a 10 gallon or larger aquarium with at least one pocillopora coral and some shaded areas for the fish to hide. It will rarely become aggressive towards other fish, but will fight with its own kind in smaller tanks. Therefore, it is best if it is kept with other docile species.
It is common for clown gobies to spawn in an aquarium. Caution should be exercised if the aquarium contains Acropora sp. or similar SPS corals. They will lay their eggs on the underside of the coral's branch, which will cause tissue recession in that area of the coral. However, under good conditions, the coral will regenerate the lost tissue.
The Panda Clown Goby's diet should consist of a variety of brine shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp, table shrimp, and frozen food preparations for carnivores.
T

shaunalynna

TeresaQ,
I read that as well some place when doing research into them. I have no problem adding some of those corals into the tank to make it happen.
Oceansidefish,
I am not set on it for sure anyhow was just getting peoples opinions, suggestions and ideas on it all.

oceansidefish

No worries. They are an AWESOME little fish, they have one at Scripps Aquarium in san diego. I wanted one myself and after a year of trying to get one I gave up. They are never gauranteed to get there alive if they are shipped either

shaunalynna

Yes, I have noticed that myself when looking around on the internet. If you find them there not guaranteed and I worry I may have something happen or it arrive DOA!

oceansidefish

I would have a LFS in your area look for you at the wholesaler if you want one. Also I would make sure you have a very docile tank mate, they are pretty small and could be picked on easily in a small tank. I would personally not get one online.

shaunalynna

Well the tank we plan to set up is going to be a seahorse tank I think. I have it on hand just waiting until we move to set it up. I want to research and see if they would be tank mates if I decided to get one and talk to the LFS. I kind of have my heart set on making a seahorse tank with the next tank so I thats the main issue. Ha, eventually with one tank I set up it will happen!

harlikwin

As far as I know this is basically just a clown goby named for a popular anomalous color pattern. I would imagine that their characteristics would be quite comparable. I have a nano tank full of sps skeletons and the couple of clown gobies i have in there seem quite happy and healthy. You can see them moving around between the brances of the corals and they seem to eat anything pretty readily. I wouldn't try it with live corals though because IMO they can be a little too damaging to small colonies.