Papuan Epaulette Shark ?

quakstar

I saw a pair of these a male and a female for sale the other day... If you had these 2 sharks and only these 2 sharks in a tank... What is the chance of them reproducing? how many eggs do they lay if they do mate? and what size tank would a creature like this need... For if i did do this i would want them to be comfortable and to survive happily. In the future my wife and I are going to be building a new house and inside of the new house I am going to build a 12x12x5 lagoon and i have a strong feeling they will be housed in it. I was thinking as of now I would set up a 500 or so but i do not know if this tank would even be big enough for sharks.
please shark people on here this is just a thought and want your input lets not crucify me for thinking about housing sharks
It is a thought and a dream

redman1221

Originally Posted by Quakstar
http:///forum/post/2804334
I saw a pair of these a male and a female for sale the other day... If you had these 2 sharks and only these 2 sharks in a tank... What is the chance of them reproducing? how many eggs do they lay if they do mate? and what size tank would a creature like this need... For if i did do this i would want them to be comfortable and to survive happily. In the future my wife and I are going to be building a new house and inside of the new house I am going to build a 12x12x5 lagoon and i have a strong feeling they will be housed in it. I was thinking as of now I would set up a 500 or so but i do not know if this tank would even be big enough for sharks.
please shark people on here this is just a thought and want your input lets not crucify me for thinking about housing sharks
It is a thought and a dream
Imo you should be fine with a 500g for awhile with those sharks but for the mating I can not help you I don't know anything about that, good luck.

srfisher17

I saw this pair too, and they've been sold already. I know next to nothing about sharks, but do know these guys are an 'expert only" fish: extremely difficult to just keep alive. As far as breeding; again I'm no expert with sharks, but have bred many difficult FW and a couple SW fish.(actually, the fish did the breeding, I just supplied the environment).IMO, the chances of them reproducing in a home tank, no matter how large, would be almost nil. Very, very few SW fish have ever been bred in captivity...maybe 98% of the fish we keep have not.. I can't imagine a pair of 3' sharks reproducing; but you might be the 1st.

quakstar

I thought the chance of them reproduceing was very rare. I just read the other day that someone was saleing an egg laying bamboo and I had never even heard of that before so I was jsut wondering If these sharks ever would mate.
PS it is 6pm et time on tuesday and they are still for sale they have not sold yet

crimzy

Originally Posted by Quakstar
http:///forum/post/2805079
I thought the chance of them reproduceing was very rare. I just read the other day that someone was saleing an egg laying bamboo and I had never even heard of that before so I was jsut wondering If these sharks ever would mate.
PS it is 6pm et time on tuesday and they are still for sale they have not sold yet
No, they are not all that difficult to breed. And a 500 gallon tank should be fine for them for life.

krj-1168

The Papuan Epaulette(Hemiscyllium hallstromi) is smaller than the more Commonly available Epaulette species (Hemiscyllium ocellatum).
Papuan Epaulettes only grow to be about 30"(76 cm) long. And they generally mature at about 18-21 inches. As a result - they require a smaller tank size that regular eppies.
Also eppies tend to be one of the easiest sharks to breed in captivity. Many aquarists are breed the Common Eppies in 900-1,000 gallon ponds. So a 500 gallon tank (8'L x 4'W x 2'T) would likely be a good size tank for a pair of Papuan Eppies. Naturally they tend to prefer tropical water temps (74-82F).