parasite?

Recently we purchased a purple firefish, since we got him home we have noticed what appears to be some sort of parasite on his body ranging in size from approximately "." to "O" it seems to be a transparent leach like animal. we have been treating the tank with "Kent Marine's Rx-P" this visably affects these creatures and within a few days they seem to be gone, untill we stop treatment then they come back. none of the other fish seem to be affected by these nor does the goby seem to be suffering. could this be a beneficial parasite.
thanks for any help you can offer
barnaclegirl

sea goblin

I dont think parasite and beneficial go hand in hand, it probably isnt a symbiotic relationship between the two. I would try to get rid of it. If the meds arent working maybe try getting a pair of cleaner shrimp. They are very nice additions to the aquarium, and will most likely be more than happy happy to clean the little parasite of of your fish.
Sea Goblin

Thanks for the help guys. I have run the Kent twice through its 14 day cycle. and unfortunately I have other inverts which may not like the salinity change. so i think i will try a cleaner shrimp or two hope fully that will keep them at bay. the problem almost took care of itself today. it appears that my lobster must have caught the firefish since he is missing a bit of his tail and a small chunk out of his back. he seems ok and is also free of parasites (for the time being)
thanks again for the info:)

dreeves

If it is Ich, (Cryptocaryon irritans), then you are simply working through the life cycle of the parasite...unfortunatly...the infestation will worsen each time it re-appears...