PArents and tattoos

reefraff

That's what I told my kid, no folding, stapling or mutilating until his 18th birthday. I don't mind tats but they are hell to get rid of so I figure he could wait until he was an adult to decide. He did listen to what I told him about not getting anything that would show when wearing a long sleaved shirt. He got a small one on the back of his shoulder.
My nephew on the other hand.... He has them up his neck and all over the place. He just won 2nd place for one on his back in some big competition. I am sure the prize didn't come close to covering the seven grand he paid to have it done.

pwnag3!!

Originally Posted by BigB
Please don't take this the wrong way, but for future tats find a different artist. It appears you have major scarring under the tat. Your skin should be smooth where the tat is just like if it wasn't there. If it just looks that way from the pic then accept my appoligies. Also all lines should be straight where they are supposed to be. I'm not talking about the tips of the star, but where the star crosses itself. I am merely offering addvice as i have had some f'd up work done that luckily I was able to cover. My wife unfortunately got butchered and has what looks like the same type scarring your pic shows, it is usually from the artist going too deep with the needle. Don't let him/her tell you "oh with black ink thats the way you do it, it has to go deep."
please dont take this the wrong way.... THAT WAS THE NIGHT THAT I GOT IT!!! there is no scarring... i got it at the number one tattoo parlor in fort worth
sounds like we got some tattoo noobs...
Im gonna go ahead and do it... hell i didnt ask anyones opinion the first three times...
my mom is a nurse so she just screams the whole hepatits issue... but when the artists flashes his instruments in front of you and shows you his record of maintenance for the equipment... im not too worried.
thanks for the input guys. ill post pics when i get them

reefraff

I think you Mom is confusing tatoo parlors with jailhouse tats:) I am sure there are some fly by nights who halfass things and hurt people. I live in a pretty small city, around 50,000 people and I think there are like 5 parlors here now. I am pretty sure the health department spots checks them for code violations. I would assume most towns do the same thing. You wouldn't stay in business very long infecting people you work on. From what I understand the bread and butter for tat artists is the return business, where people are ready to drop serious cash on more elaborate designs.

nw2sltfsh

I saw a perfect bumper sticker at the place I got my first tattoo
The only difference between tattooed people and non tattooed people is tattooed people don't care.
I got my first at 18, 2nd at 21 and 4th at 33. Would I care if my kid came home with a tattoo, only if it was above the neck or below the wrists. other then that there are no issues
BTW my 4th and 5th tattoo will be an oriental dragon and an oriental tiger to symbolize the year my kids were born.
My Husband loves me just as I am - and actually I got that yuppie to agree to a very large tattoo that wraps around his leg.
I am a well paid professional and my tattoo's have never gotten in the way of that.
I say Go for it like you are planning - cant wait to see the pictures!

pwnag3!!

Originally Posted by NW2SLTFSH
BTW my 4th and 5th tattoo will be an oriental dragon and an oriental tiger to symbolize the year my kids were born.
!
I would do that for my year... but no one wants a stupid looking rat on their body

K

kimc

I am a mother of two fine son's. My oldest is 25 and got his 1st and only tatoo while in the Navy. It is just below his shoulder and it a picture of an angel laying by a pool of water and the reflection in the water is a devilish looking thing but you have to look at the reflection upside down to acutally see the devilish creature. I like the tatoo except for the devilish thing. My youngest is 19 his only tatoo is on his lower back and it say's
esti 1985. I don't have a problem as both tatoo's can be covered up. I personally don't have a problem with tatoo's... My hubby will be getting one of our company logo (my avatar) when we sell our 100th shingle cutter!!

teresaq

Hi, I'm a 41 yr old mother of 3, and got my first for my 40th birthday. My husband took me to get it.

bigb

Pwnag3!! if you read my whole post you would have seen where I said it may have looked that way due to the picture. All you had to do was explain that it was the night you got it.
Since I,ve been getting tats since you were 3 yrs old I'll pretend that noob comment isn't directed at me.

zman1

I've never been a big fan of tattoos. When my sons move out and are on their own, they can make that decision for themselves. They know our feelings about them.
My youngest sister (27) has one on her back/shoulder and is a mother of two now. I just think about when she's a Grandma....
Nothing more disgusting that an old wrinkly granny with an old wrinkly faded tattoo... :scared:
Make sure they are always exposed, that way you can make sure you are stereotyped and excluded during interviews from the good high paying jobs later in life :notsure: IMO

nw2sltfsh

Originally Posted by pwnag3!!
I would do that for my year... but no one wants a stupid looking rat on their body

I know what you mean mine would be a pig!

flux

I think you need to take into account that tattoos are becoming more acceptable. It wont really be that odd to see tattoos when this generation grows up. I seem to recall earrings on guys being a symbol of a “badass” when I was little, but now I don’t think it draws a second look when a guy has a piercing. Obviously extreme cases are an exception. If you have FU tattooed on your forehead you are in for a ruff time.

xhappyx

something on this site that i can relate with hehe. ok a couple thoughts on tattoos......
i personally think ur getting tattooed for the wrong reason... u shouldn't be gettting tattoos for attention, u should be getting them becauses something u like an really do want, tattoos don't always bring the best attention with them, especially during first impressions have a big old blob of ink on ur skin give people stereotypical opinions of u before u've even met. and with the parents...... i don't know how old you are, i have no kids, but i can relate with them, i personally know what it's like having to parents that were not a tattoo orienented family, the actually dispise them and when i walk home after my first tattoo when i was 16, they nearly disowned me. and i can't blame them every tattoo i got from when i was younger i've had covereed up. and i hate to say it but they were right they told me i would regret that when i got a bit more mature.. just remember it's not like ur parents hate u hahaha they're just looking out for u, and want u to make the right decisions, also take it from me (only 24 and have about 70-75% of my body covereed with tattoos) getting tattoos for attention is the right reasons for it. no the kind of attention u always want..
sorry i got alittle over board with this one hehe

xhappyx

lines don't look very straight imo. not to much tow orry about with diseases at shops as long as they keep up with everything it's fine. just do urself a favor and think about the tattoos u get, they don't wash off and can be apain to cover hahaha.. i have had a few things covered and it's not always with what u want it covered with...

xhappyx

Originally Posted by zman1
I've never been a big fan of tattoos. When my sons move out and are on their own, they can make that decision for themselves. They know our feelings about them.
My youngest sister (27) has one on her back/shoulder and is a mother of two now. I just think about when she's a Grandma....
Nothing more disgusting that an old wrinkly granny with an old wrinkly faded tattoo... :scared:
Make sure they are always exposed, that way you can make sure you are stereotyped and excluded during interviews from the good high paying jobs later in life :notsure: IMO
that's ur personal opionion i have about 75% of my body covereed with tattoos i'm only 24 and make more money then most adults!

chipmunk

Like I say you need to know who you are in life. If you like tats and have one or you are covered with them thats great. But a least you aint afraid what people are going to say about you. My self I dont care what anyone says. Life is to short. Here today and might be gone the next.

xhappyx

Originally Posted by chipmunk
Like I say you need to know who you are in life. If you like tats and have one or you are covered with them thats great. But a least you aint afraid what people are going to say about you. My self I dont care what anyone says. Life is to short. Here today and might be gone the next.
gotta be happy with the 2-0 start for the redskins hehe

ntrigger

Originally Posted by snailheave
i think i am going to end myself, come back, and tell you my opinion on suicide.
if you need to 'show' others your committment to your family, you probably don't love them enough.

I don't have to show them this is what I wanted to do If you are not into tattos than that is your choice my choice was to put my family's name on my body. Again that was my personal choice. And to say I don't love my family, :mad: YOU SHOULD GET TO NOW SOMEONE TO KNOW IF THEY LOVE THEIR FAMILY. I PUT MY FAMILY OVER ME 100% SO DON'T EVER TELL ANYONE THAT THEY DON'T REALLY LOVE THEIR FAMILY BECAUSE THEY GOT A TATTOO OF THEIR NAME ON THEIR BODY. I COULD SAY YOU DON'T LOVE YOUR FAMILY BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE THEIR NAMES TATTOOD ON YOUR BODY. BUT THAT IS NOT TRUE BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW YOU THAT WOULD BE A STUPID THING TO SAY ON MY PART.....

ntrigger

Originally Posted by snailheave
i think i am going to end myself, come back, and tell you my opinion on suicide.
if you need to 'show' others your committment to your family, you probably don't love them enough.

someone could say that you don't love your family because you don't have their name tattood on your body but that would be a really STUPID thing to say when they don't know you right. Everyone expresses their love in different ways it might not be for everyone but that is why we all have choices. If you don't like tattoos then don't get one. I really love my family whether I have tattoos or not that is not what makes me love my family, but to me also it shows that I really love them.. like i said not all people will agree what i say but that is my opinion. If my girls want to get tattos when they get older they can I don't have anything against it as long as they choose what they want and make sure it is what they want.......

maeistero

good call of a parent who respects his/her children's individuality
nothing more respectable than a wwII navy veteran with an anchor on his shoulder :thinking:

so far he has said he's kept them concealed. i know plenty of highly paid people who are sleeved (tats down the arms) but just wear long sleeved shirts. most offices are cold as he/l anyways.

zman1

Here is a petty good article - it seems to address both sides and views (bias I believe of pro side) . Expression or conformity......
http://whyfiles.org/206tattoo/3.html
I am still a firm believer that your actions and deeds are the best way to express who you are and what you stand for or believe, and not art..........
IMO --- In My Opinion