Part of the pump on my skimmer broke, is it fixable?

biggredd

I have a Corlife 220 super skimmer. The pump that comes with it keeps jamming up on me so I've been trying to clean it out. Well apparently this last time around when I took the pump out to clean it out there is a white rod that spins the fan inside the pump. That broke in half. Is that replaceable or am I SOL. I just got laid off and can't afford an expensive alternative. Any ideas? Will any pump work in it's place? I have 3 295gph ph's in my main tank, should I put one of those in it's place?

bigdewtamp

that is an impellar shaft they are not that expensive you lfs should have replacement shaft mine sells them for about 5.00 you can get them offline cheaper

biggredd

I'll just go to the fish store. Don't want this to be off any more than it needs to be. It just didn't seem like that white rod wanted to come off very easily. Guess I'll have to do open heart surgery on it?
Thanks.

hagfish

Go to coralifes web page and email them explaining that your impellar shaft is broken. They will send you a new one for free. I think their web site is on the box if you still have it. Or google it. It's got "esu" in the name I think.
Don't run another pump on it. For one, your pump is a needle wheel pump so it is probably better than most anyway. For two, the flow makes a huge difference.

chipmaker

That shaft is made from ceramic and is very fragile. Its easy to break them if the pump is assembled with the shaft in a bind, or if the end plate is cocked, when assembling the pump. The flex limit on those shafts is zero...... Make sure its seated firmly inthe rubber end caps or its possible to put shaft in a bind. Its also one of thos ehtings that it pays to spend a couple of bucks on just to have a spare around just in case.